• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ga dot

joeM62

Well last week a coworker was in one of the flatbeds to get a load before he could he got pulled over by the DOT, officer looked over the truck and check the papers out and said they didn't meet dot inspection he got a ticket was told that all of the trucks had to go through a certain DOT shop to pass but thing was all of the trucks had passed DOT inspection it's gonna cost $300 per truck. It sucks for me because that means down time. I just wanted to let everyone know in GA.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what kind of truck? If it had passed DOT inspection and that is current why was a ticket issued?

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All DOT's are cracking down on trucks. Went through one in AL and FL today alone. Since their budgets are getting cut, they have to make up the shortfall through citations. :driver:

phil2968

If they passed DOT inspection, there should be a decal stating who did the inspection and when it was done along with a hard copy of the check sheet in the truck. If he did not find these he has no way of knowing if the truck is current on its inspection and hence the ticket?

Troll1216

Noob question about trucks...

I have logged a few miles, I also drive for a living but "fourwheelers."

If I have my deuce reg as a regular vehicle, IE. not commercial (25,999lbs), in FL, do I need to stop at weight stations?

I figured since we were on the topic of DOT stops, I would ask.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stopping at Weight Stations has been beaten to death! Depends on the state you are in and how busy they are (or how much revenue they need to make). I go in, and have always been waived through, but I'm usually in a tan tee shirt and have on ear muffs and GI goggles in an empty deuce (or hauling my own GL pickup items in said deuce). As the military finally gets rid of deuces, the DOT folks will be seeing fewer and fewer of them and will come to realize the ones they do spy are no longer govt. owned. Then, they may clamp down.

zout

Just a follow up question on the stop.

Was it that other required paperwork was not in the cab that the ticket was written up for ?
Was it that the truck or trailer did not pass their inspection - even though it had the Federal Inspection - things do break where it will not pass a road inspection.

Some people call a DOT inspection a Federal Highway Inspection.

When you get an annual FHWA inspection - all the requirements for the powered and non powered units have to pass the inspection - or repaired to meet the inspection - This is once a year.

A so called DOT inspection is where you would stop at the scales OR get stopped by a mobile DOT officer and on site inspected - at this time he might allow you to still roll with a ticket and get the repairs made within a required limited time and the paperwork sent in that the repair was made.
OR
The unit or units have a safety issue and he will shut you down where you sit - or get it moved to get the repairs made so it will pass - still ya get a ticket and points - the Company gets the fine against their safety record - the part I love about the new law - the driver also gets points - this will surely cure drivers to perform inspections on their units.

DOT and FHWA inspections are two seperate things.

Commercial vehicles also have to have each powered units Vehicle Inspection Book filled out properly with pretrip and posttrip data - which is also checked by a DOT audit to a company. They will check repair dates against repairs needed written in a drivers VIR book.

As stated - with lack of revenue to operate - hold onto your britches with them most times it is revenue and not common sense things written up.

joeM62

Well the truck had the right paper work from inspection and it was a Ford F650 flatbed dump but what the officer was saying not just any disesel shop can do a DOT inspection it has to go through a certain shop to get inspection which to me sounds like a buch of crap but you can't argue with them. Think what it comes down to that is rather in a 1ton or a semi it's getting harder to keep up with the new requirements for any truck being put on the road for buisness.

fstfrdy

the shop that does it has to be certified to do the inspections.but the loop hole(in az at least) is that the owner of the company that owns the truck can sign the inspection and be good(this may have changed, not sure) but anyone can get the certification to do dot level inspection. most companies that i have delt with have there lead mechanic get certified so that it save them hassle and time

zout

The question is the person who performed the FHWA qualified to do it.
If he was not - was there another person there who supervised and they signed off on the paperwork.

You could go to JJ Keller web page and look up form 285-FS-C
annual vehicle inspecction - inspector certification form. I can personally certify an inspector/mechanic - but when I place my name on that paper - the guy/gal dang well better know what everything is and how it operates.
Meaning - they better know the inspection criteria in 49CFR Part 393 and Appendix G of the subchapter.

With the legalities of today and folks swooping like crows on dead meat to a truck driver and lawyers right on their heels - you do not sign off on a FHWA happhazardly - of if someone offers to flip ya some cash to overlook stuff - it does not work that way.

emr

Just wondering, was the truck stoped in question a Former Militery vehicle ? If not and it was a working truck, this seems to be general knowledge, All Businesses are under the idea they are supposed to know ALL the rules before they go out. , I am assuming. And wondering, If This pertains to MV's at all, if so I am intersted...? Thanks...[thumbzup]..Just wondering...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have noticed the AL State Trooper Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit has been working hard lately.....they seem to be concentrating on log trucks but are also looking for targets of opportunity.

I have never been stopped in one of my MV's by state or local LEO's.

I did have one local "Barney Fife" type give me the third degree while I was buying fuel in "Rooster Poot" AL, one night. Once I showed him the bill of sale for all the vehcles we had he moseyed away. We had driven all the way from Arkansas and were 15 miles from home....go figure.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I hope that's not the case docfarmall.

joeM62...if you are serious and that statement was really made...about a certain shop being the only one authorized...etc...get me some names...like the MCCD Officer's and the name of your company and the name of the "preffered shop" etc.
Realize...anything you PM me will end up on an MCCD Officers desk...and a high one...so please make sure the facts are....facts.

I guarantee...that will not stand Sir!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks