• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gar wood winch

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scottie - I don't know a lot about Gar Wood winches but purely based upon the fairlead, it looks like a dozer rear winch setup though that angle iron behind the drum wouldn't be there for a dozer.

You could try the Historic Military Vehicle Forum, though it is mainly a British site, that's where the majority of American WWII stff ended up or went through. They have a lot of WWII stuff and a load of dozer/wrecker etc., people.

Doesn't have a rating on the data plate - what cable size is it?

I have a 30,000lb Gar Wood drum winch with twin capstains and I too have no idea what it could have been on.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
9/16" .... ?

How did you measure that - across the smallest size (flats) or the largest size:

.. V
.OO
OOO smallest measurement (and correct way to measure cable)
.OO
.. ^

or

... OO
>|OOO|< largest measurement
... OO

I think you may have 1/2".....

Last edited:

WW2Chevy

Scottie,

That particular model of winch (Garwood 2-U-512) was used as a front mounted winch on WW2 2-1/2 ton (CCKW) GMC trucks, and 1-1/2 ton Chevy (G506) trucks. It might have had other uses too, but those are two that I'm sure of. My truck is a 1942 Chevy 1-1/2 ton w/ winch, and I have most of one of those things hanging on the front of my frame now. It looks like it's been pretty bubba'ed with the rollers and what not, or was used on something else to begin with. Are you selling or parting it out??

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What is the drum size, (the width, the side and center measurement) ????

scottieb686

Its at my shop i will measure it tomorrow. One place told me its a 10000 lbs to 15000 lbs winch made for 6x6 world war II and after. It was at a and on there shelf for the past 20 yrs plus.

scottieb686

i measured this. the pto hook up is 1 1/2" comeing out. the worm width is 6" the length is 13". the gear cover ontop on the worm looks like the gear is 7 to 8 inch gear. thanks scott you can call me at 815 953 6387

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks