• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gasser Deuce Questions

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks that own G-742 gasser deuces, I'd like to know what kind of fuel mileage you are getting. I'm really looking for actual facts from the horses mouth. Not really interested in hearing about the neighbors brothers, 3rd cousin in Guatemala getting 24 MPG on his gasser M35 with 60" rice and canes. Not real interested in the mileage the GMC's are getting either. I'm really interested in hearing from gasser owners that drive or have driven their trucks. Gene McCluskey, David Doyle?

TIA,
Kenny

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Tim Barr said his gets 2 mpg. It will be used for parde duty only. I'm sure he will chime in here soon.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouch, 2 MPG? I know the 5 tonners were about at that. I hope they all aren't like that. Crap, I'm hoping for 8 MPG. Anything less could mean.........

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny I just got off the phone with Gene, he said he gets 6-7 MPG with the M34. So just go downhill with a strong tailwind and you should get 8 MPG.:roll:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sorry Kenny, I looked it up, he reports 5 mpg over on the zone. Hate ya, heck I'd offer help. I think multi is the way to go. You know gas is gonna get back up (and over) $4gal.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 5 gallon can lasts about 3-4 days of mild use on the M108.... in the yard. So I'm getting .01 mpg right now.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll ride this gasser as long as I can just to see whats up with it. Jim, thanks for ringing up Gene for me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Gene. 4 to 5 isn't too good and I want to drive this truck. I'm still going to give it a shot to see what happens. The little guy is screaming for a multifuel but I have to give it a chance, heck, I don't even have it home yet.

Crash_AF

I'm going to be driving my Gasser M35 in the parade on Saturday so I'll try to keep an eye on fuel consumption for you and report back with my results.

Later,
Joe

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
My compressor truck gets 6-8 MPG on the highway with my foot in it....and you can actually have a conversation with passengers in the cab. I've never bothered to check it in town or in parades. Checked it on 100 plus mile runs on the highway.

Its only original once you know...... :)

DD

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its only original once you know...... :)

DD
That hurts! Perhaps I can blame it on the previous owner who converted it to 12V, deleted the wiring harness, stole the spare tire and tool box mount, sawed the gas tank in half and hacked away at the bed and added a spot for torch tanks?

Truthfully not too worried about around town mileage, just want to attend a rally or two without the Valdez in tow.

Barrman

Rebuilt and less than 1000 miles on the OA-331. 11.00-20 NDT tires and a hard top. I got 5.3 according to my speedometer on my last trip to Houston (130 miles). My speedometer is about 12% slow because of the bigger tires however. That gets me to right at 6 mpg. I was able to run 60+, but engine heat kept me at 45-50 for most of the trip. (This was in August and it was over 100 degrees outside.)

I topped off the tank, spent hours winching a motor home around and then dragged the motor home to my place 130 miles away. With my foot nailed to the floor in 3rd and 4th gear and a few down hill runs in 5th all between 24-45 mph. I topped off once home and my milage was 5.1. I am still burning that tank down since I normally only drive it 20-30 miles a week.

Those are my only actual trip numbers. If fuel stays like it is, it will get driven a lot more. I think the 6-8 mpg can be reached with 9.00 tires (hills kill this thing) and 45 mph. It will be a stretch though.

Before my Houston trip, I did a shake down run to another members house 35 miles away. I used a broom handle to measure the fuel before I left. I ran it at 65 mph according to my gps the entire way. I measured the fuel again and I used 2-1/2". Every 3" is 10 gallons. I drove home at 45 indicated top speed letting the hills slow me down instead of attacking them. I used 1-1/2" of fuel which gives me 7 mpg exactly.

Those are the most accurate numbers I can give you right now. I will add that I have no idea what timing I am running on the engine. The idiot that rebuilt it 25 years ago put the balancer on indexed wrong. I of course didn't figure this out until I had the entire truck back together and all buttoned up. So, since it runs great and doesn't ping, I haven't gotten motivated enough to pull it apart and fix it. The timing might be spot on as far as I know too.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can tell you the timing makes a big difference in how the gasser M108 runs. No idea where it's set, but runs alot better advanced, up to the point the engine wants to backfire instead of start. Haven't noticed any ping. On my one trip on the road, it would only do 40 mph, then advanced the timing and got 50 mph.(20,000lb truck)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good info Barman. I'm going to work the OA-331 for a while. If it gets out of hand I'll cross the evil bridge to multifuel land.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks