• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GEN Lights

blackhueys

Since alot of people seem to be encountering this I will tell you what finally did the fix for me and only cost 25.00. First I had the Alternators rebuilt helped some but problem still there fan on high etc. Well got bored yesterday and pulled them out and tore them down found out that the shop never replaced the diode trio or the voltage regulator, well went to the local parts place and picked up two of each and so far no lights at all. the voltage gauge stays put right in the middle of the green regardless of what I do all lights on fan on high or low rev it up and down nothing makes the gauge move anymore! Voltage test front battery running is at 14.50 volts rear battery running is at 14.45 volts and together about 28 volts constant! just thought I would share my fix and the alternators really are not that scary once you get them apart and see.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pay about $85 locally or I can get a complete rebuild kit for $40

The alternator is just a 27SI type 100 GM alternator. Only special parts are for the isolated ground and they can be reused (nuts, bols, washers)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....shop never replaced the diode trio or the voltage regulator, well went to the local parts place and picked up two of each and so far no lights at all.
The diode trio is one of the most common items to go out. And they just cost a few bucks to replace.

Good job....[thumbzup]

blackhueys

well both alts rebuilt (ha ha right) was 125.00 considering that they where told to replace everything except the stator, case half's and the armature I was not happy to find out that they did not do that. i asked them to do this because of what I read on here about the diode trio causing gen light problems. I will be doing my own rebuilds now the only thing that I wont be able to do is test the stator and armature (I dont own a growler tester) these I would still take in and have tested. From start to finish both alts was about a hour rebuilt them on the pass seat!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The diode trio is a sealed unit of thre diodes in one unit. They cost just a few dollars. Here is pic of one being tested.

Download the TM 9-2320-289-34 and study the section on rebuilding the alternators. All the parts are illustrated

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks