• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator bit me.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two MEP803A's on a trailer with transfer switch. I do not have the generators grounded and was temporarily running a water pump. I switched to the #2 generator on the transfer switch to send power to the pump and when switching my thumb inadvertently made contact with the indicator bezel above the switch and lit me up. I check the voltage and was getting about 100 volts between the toggle handle and ground. Is the switch bad, or am I getting stray voltage from somewhere?

csheath

First of all you shouldn't be running either without a ground rod set and connected.

The other thing I would look at is bonding. If the ground and neutral are bonded at the switch then both generators should have the bonding strap disconnected at the generator.

I did this with my load bank so I don't have to connect and disconnect the bonding strap from house to load test. I bonded the panel at the load bank and leave the bonding strap open at the generator.

Guyfang

Staff member
Russ,

As much as I like you, I still could come with an attitude adjuster, (pick handle) To counsel you on grounding. But, since everyone else has taken up the slack, I will put off my long awaited trip back to the States. Dude. Be glad it was not wet.

Pictures. Of the place that bit you. Of the gen sets load terminals. Ground bonding straps on both gen sets, and the switch box. The load terminals where both sets are hooked up. And the data plate for the switch box. Then I can maybe find a wire diagram for it.

Were both sets running at the time? Or just one.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I'm an electrical dummy. Real decent plumber, but my electrical knowledge is limited. I'll get pictures as soon as I can. Thank you all for the information, but thank you especially the grace given. I'm ignorant, but not (too) stupid. :ROFLMAO:

Scoobyshep

If you only knew how many times I have been bit!
Its one of those things, the most seamingly mundane thing where you can get the worst shock. Mine was of all things changing of a lightbulb. A small stress fracture in the glass caused it to explode in my hand and resulted in 600 volts across the chest (Output of a HID ballast). long story short, theres enough hazards out there without inviting them in with ground shortcomings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks