• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator - Can you Identify?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought an S-788 shelter from a junk dealer. In the front tunnel was some sort of machine, completely enveloped in nasty rotted insulation, which he said was a pump because it has a hose fitting on it. I didn't care what it was, I just wanted the shelter and it was super cheap.

On getting it home, I pulled about 60 pounds of deteriorated insulation out of the tunnel, found and removed the bent grounding rod that was jamming the trolley, and was able to slide the "pump" out.
It is a generator!
The hose fitting is apparently so you can run the exhaust away from the shelter.

So, everything I read says the S-788's should have a 3-cylinder M903(A/B/C) in the tunnel.
This thing is a 2-cyl Onan, and there are no data plates anywhere on it. :?

I am at a loss to figure out what it is. I've searched SS, the web, and RTFM (many of them), but ...... :shrugs:

From the pictures, can any of you wonderful generator-savvy folks tell me what it is??

Thanks, and cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Can you please step back a few paces and take a few more pictures? I know someone who might be able to tell you much more about this beast.

Guyfang

Staff member
Can you please step back a few paces and take a few more pictures? I know someone who might be able to tell you much more about this beast.

jamawieb

Interesting, do you see a data plate on the side of the generator head? It would be on the side where the oil filter is located on the motor. It can't be mush more than a 6-7kw because the 2 cylinder won't be able to handle much more. I bet it doesn't have many hours on it, the oil filter is still painted green from beginning new or rebuilt.

ke5eua

I don't have any identification information for you but I love those little generators.

We ran one for an entire year straight. Shutdown once a week for pmcs then started right back up.

They are good little gen sets when working right. Pretty much the same for anything anywhere in the military.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kavesman1

From the initial pics, looks like you got a MEP-802A genset. See if the Genhead has this data plate on it. MEP-802A GenHead Data Plate.jpg

Also too, looks like you also might possibly have a Tier 2 reset genset. In a T2 reset,if the engine is bad or has been gone through, the people/shop that has done it will usually paint over the installed oil filters. And from your pics,you've got one. I'm not sure on the oil filter service interval for the 802A, but i can confidently say that your genset should only have between 1-250 Hrs on it.

Last edited:

Triple Jim

Well, yes..... I don't know the identity of the generator, but I'm not a bloody moron....
I didn't meant to insult you, but I also didn't think the enlarged photos were that terribly small. I readily admit I've overlooked a few seemingly obvious things in my life. :)

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed! MEP-802A it is. I haven't seen one in that state of undress before.

Kavesman, thank you. No data plate (frustratingly, none anywhere, on generator or shelter). But I now have no doubt you are correct on the ID. And the number of hours - it shows 100.8 on the Hobbs.

Triple Jim - no insult taken. My retort was typed with a grin, which didn't translate onto the page. [thumbzup]

Gimpyrobb - playfully poke yourself in the eye for me... :twisted:

Cheers

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's clearly a LPW2 engine. The question is what gen head is attached. A 802, or a 812 head? Or something else? And where are the rest of the relays and controls?

Guyfang

Staff member
Folks, this is not a MEP-802 or 812. It is a LPW2 engine, and might have the same head as a 802 or 812, but there the similarities stop.

csheath

Curiosity got me looking through some of the info on this shelter but the literature just says generation as supplied by user so it doesn't specify a particular generator.

They have a 248 page TM on the shelter here under the related media tab. http://www.gichner.us/s-788.html

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As stated above, all the controls are inside the shelter. Batteries and fuel tank are on the trailer (or, if the shelter was mounted in a Humvee, it would tap both from the vehicle).

From what I have reviewed in the manuals, the head is the MEP-802A. The LPW2 engine appears to be the same as that called the DN2M by the military, and that is what powers the MEP-802A generator.

Educate me, please - if this is the engine that powers the MEP-802A and it is attached to a MEP-802A generator head, why would we not call the complete unit MEP-802A?

It appears that most everything I need to maintain this generator is in the MEP-802A manuals and TM-9-2815-252-24, which covers the engine.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks