• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator install: connecting different gauge wire

bones1

Here is what I have to do
The 5449 generac panel was already installed and 2/2/2/4 ser was also already run from the panel( but not connected) over to the wall where it was all set to go to a large 20kw propane unit.I have a MEP003A instead so a pb-50 outside gen inlet will be installed instI ead.. Connecting to the 5449 is straight forward but connecting 2/2/2/4 to the PB-50 is where the issue is. I thought a small main lug panel, unbonded, mounted on the wall near the PB-50 could be use for connecting the #6 wire from the inlet to the 2/2/2/4 ser running over to the 5449 panel.
The 5449 will be run in manual only as I am not using a Generac generator. Although it can be made operate in auto with most any generator. I am using a MEP 003A generator on a trailer and would prefer to be home when it runs.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is more complicated than it needs to be. All you need to do is set a box and make the splice inside the box. For wire that size you can't use an outlet box. You'll need to use something like a 6x6 box. You are allowed to join 2 different sized wires as long as the branch circuit breaker is sized for the smaller wire.

If it were me I would set a box and spice it all together using split bolts. Cover each connection with a layer of self fusing tape (Scotch 23) then a couple layers of electrical tape (Scotch 33 or Scotch 88 ). Put the cover on and call it done!

Last edited:

bones1

Thanks for the help. I think I will do just that. The breaker on the panel where the #2 wire goes is 125 amp. I have to change that to 50 or 60 A correct?. Here is a very good picture of where it connects on the left side 125A. Will the new 60A breaker accept #2 wire size is my question?.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is correct. You will need to change the breaker to a 60a - assuming that you are using normal 6 gauge copper and not SOOW cord or other temperature limited (and lower current capable) cabling.

Nip off a bit of the 2 gauge wire and take it with you to shop for the breaker. You'll find that 60a breakers will work with 2ga. In general they size the terminals for a couple wire sizes larger than whats required for copper wire to accommodate someone using aluminum wire.

bones1

I will do that . Here is the picture I was talking about. The 6/4soow cable runs from the generator to the outside plug (pb-50) on the house.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/41/41ca3407-a9e3-4840-b765-d95efd7dd0dc.pdf

Thank You very much sir.

#6 solid wire from the back of the inlet to the combiner box.

Last edited:

bones1

Is the pb-50 limiting me to 50A or the 6/4 soow that I haven't bought yet. Is there a better wire alternative for a cord from the generator to the house? It will need to be about 30 ft. When the MEP-003a really gets cranking (125% load that some folks say) what amperage is it putting out at that point?. I can use the PB-50 on my garage if there is a better option for the house. What do you guys use?. I will have to take back my 60A breaker I just bought. It's ok, I like going to lowes.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both are limiting you.

If you want to go with a 60a breaker you'll need to get 4/4 SOOW cord and a 60a inlet.

A MEP003 will do a little over 50a.

bones1

At 52 amps, I'll just take my 60 back and put in a 50A breaker.I bet 4/4 soow and A 60amp inlet is $$$$$$$$$. I looked for a 60 amp inlet for a long time to no avail.
Thanks for the help.

bones1

Is there anything special needed to be done in regards to grounding at the generator, is the neutral bonded at the generator etc?.I don't think I need a ground rod when connected to the home with 4 wire but not sure on the generator end.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you are connected to your house with a 4 wire cable you want to remove the bonding strap that is along the bottom right side where the terminals are. A ground rod isn't required but won't hurt if you decide to drive one at the generator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks