• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator Size

superman4283

I'll start with a link background on myself first. About 10 years ago I broke my neck leaving me a quadriplegic. One side affect of that is I can't control my body temperature so have heat or AC running is a must for me.

I'd like to run my whole house without really doing any load management. Here you the things I have: 3 ton water source heat pump, 1 1/2 ton heat pump, electric hot water heater, 1 hp well pump, 2 refrigerators, gas range and oven, gas hot water heater, everything else would mainly be mainly lights in the rooms we're in.

I'd like to run washer and electric dryer and microwave if possible but I could load manage to use those.

Hurricanes are my biggest concern. Most outages are from a couple hours to a couple days. Having said that we have gone as long as a week and a half.

I've been getting by on a 10kw portable running the ton and a half AC, well pump, and a few lights but it's not ideal for my situation. I really need auto start too.

I have been doing a lot of reading on here and from what I understand military generators are over built. So my question is which model would best for my needs?

Scoobyshep

Has your 10 KW portable generator been running the things you need? Or is it just a few pennies short of a dollar?

superman4283

Has your 10 KW portable generator been running the things you need? Or is it just a few pennies short of a dollar?
I can make it with it but I really need both AC units running. I really just want to be able to run everything like I'm still on the grid. Being in a wheelchair I just can't go anywhere for a few days if the power is out. Also I'm not to worried about fuel consumption. I'm more concerned about wet stacking.

Scoobyshep

Consumer generators are rated in starting watts so a 10 KW generator is more of an 8000 watt generator. The Military generators, when they say 10 kw they mean 10 kw and then some.

Honestly the best answer is to take current readings and use that to figure out how big you really need.

superman4283

Sorry it's actually a 12kw gas generator. Also I'm dead set on a diesel. There's plenty of farmers that will let me buy fuel if I can't get to a store due to flooding or trees down.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you need to be looking at the MEP-803A. What kind of interconnect do you currently have, a twist lock style? Do you know the amperage rating? Would you hard wire your new solution?

Ray70

I think you will be fine with an Mep-803A 10Kw. The biggest load you have is probably your hot water heater, assuming its a larger 40-50gl. 240V unit. All the other stuff is not a big deal.
I have customers who have bought 5Kw's and run all the other stuff including well pumps, multiple AC units, washer lights fridges, freezer, tv all that stuff.
They always praise how powerful the military 5kw's are compared to comsumer units.
The 10K 803A is going to give you around 14K- 14,500 where as your consumer 12K is maybe pushing 10K or so if the wind is blowing the right direction and all your wiring is running downhill .... :p Ha, Ha!!!

superman4283

I think you need to be looking at the MEP-803A. What kind of interconnect do you currently have, a twist lock style? Do you know the amperage rating? Would you hard wire your new solution?
I'm pretty sure it's a twist lock. I can't get to it to see it. My father does all the hooking up of the generator.
I do not know the amperage.
The new solution will have an ATS.

You guys respond fast. Thanks for helping.

superman4283

I think you will be fine with an Mep-803A 10Kw. The biggest load you have is probably your hot water heater, assuming its a larger 40-50gl. 240V unit. All the other stuff is not a big deal.
I have customers who have bought 5Kw's and run all the other stuff including well pumps, multiple AC units, washer lights fridges, freezer, tv all that stuff.
They always praise how powerful the military 5kw's are compared to comsumer units.
The 10K 803A is going to give you around 14K- 14,500 where as your consumer 12K is maybe pushing 10K or so if the wind is blowing the right direction and all your wiring is running downhill .... :p Ha, Ha!!!
Yeah I always worry my portable isn't going to put out if I need it for long periods.

There's a mep-004a near me fs, what's is ya'lls thoughts on that? I think they are ask $5000.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a 3 phase machine. I think it might be able to be rewired to single phase only, but based on all you have said, I don't think that machine would be the best fit for your needs. There is much greater adoption of the 803 platform, especially in terms of the aftermarket stuff you are looking for (auto start solution).

Scoobyshep

Yeah I always worry my portable isn't going to put out if I need it for long periods.

There's a mep-004a near me fs, what's is ya'lls thoughts on that? I think they are ask $5000.
I use my 004 for standby use, it is 3 phase but can be very easily rewired to single phase 120/ 240. I wired mine to autostart (but that took some doing) and 5000 seems a bit on the high side to me.

superman4283

That is a 3 phase machine. I think it might be able to be rewired to single phase only, but based on all you have said, I don't think that machine would be the best fit for your needs. There is much greater adoption of the 803 platform, especially in terms of the aftermarket stuff you are looking for (auto start solution).
I've seen where it can be rewired. It seems fairly simple.
I have not seen any 803 platforms near me. There are several 30kw and 5kw. Obviously they aren't suitable for my needs.

superman4283

I use my 004 for standby use, it is 3 phase but can be very easily rewired to single phase 120/ 240. I wired mine to autostart (but that took some doing) and 5000 seems a bit on the high side to me.
Do you have a problem with wet stacking?
Do you have automatic start on it?
If $5000 is high what's a fair price? They claim it has 27 hours.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Generator pricing is all over the board, but by and large... going up every year due to supply constraints (and decrease in quality).

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pretty sure it's a twist lock. I can't get to it to see it. My father does all the hooking up of the generator.
I do not know the amperage.
The new solution will have an ATS.

You guys respond fast. Thanks for helping.
The details on this connection are important, if you are looking to reuse it. For safety reasons, even though an 803 is rated at 52A @ 100%, based on some of the big loads you are running you might want to consider hard wiring it into your panel, or moving up to a 60A interconnect. Hardware is cheaper though, depending on where its to be positioned, compared to how the power gets into the property.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks