• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator Spider Box

Chainbreaker

After adding an auxiliary fuel tank to my #2 spare generator I decided that I wanted to add more "utility factor" to this Power Unit's trailer. You never know... I might need to help out a neighbor in need or power various equipment remotely in the field.

I previously purchased a Spider Box that I found on eBay a while back with intentions to use it with genset. It was sitting unused in my shop for a couple years and I finally worked my way clear of other projects and decided that it now needed a home mounted on my #2 Power Unit trailer. I purchased some aluminum bar stock (had to paint it 383 green to match bows) and attached it to the trailer bows so spider box would mount up high inside the trailer under the cover so it would stay nice and dry and also off the deck out of way.

Some nice features about this particular box is it has a nice form factor for hanging and has three 20 amp GFI protected circuits as well as a 50 amp spider feed out. I am going to use the 50 amp spider feed as an easy way to hook up a cable (cable shown connected in pics below) to power my recently purchased Comfort Zone CZ220 shop heater for use as a load tester.

Here are a few pics of the spider box and install on trailer:

WP_20171013_001.jpg WP_20171013_002.jpg WP_20171013_003.jpg WP_20171013_005.jpg

WP_20171111_001.jpg WP_20171111_002.jpg

I also mounted a heavy duty switch just below control panel so that I can bond/unbond the neutral to gnd wire with the flick of a switch. That way I can easily unhook from house and use the trailer in SDS mode attached to a ground rod wherever I want. In the picture below, notice that I tapped a screw hole next to the switch, and put in a tall SST cap screw next to switch so that switch handle cannot rotate, that way its locked in House Mode when connected to house so that it does not get inadvertently bumped or switched to SDS without removing screw.

WP_20171027_002.jpg

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no need, nor reason to own a spider box... doesn't mean I dont want one! Thanks for fanning those flames Chainbreaker. I am sure my wife thanks you.

Chainbreaker

Nice, going to be doing the same thing once I find a spider that is priced right on ebay or CL.
I had been looking for one for a while when I ran across this one. Never saw one like this before and haven't since but I haven't been looking much lately. I made an offer on it for $100 and it was accepted. It had never been used or installed that I could tell. Usually if you look fairly frequently on eBay or CL there are some good deals that turn up. You just have to be there when they do.

Chainbreaker

I have no need, nor reason to own a spider box... doesn't mean I dont want one! Thanks for fanning those flames Chainbreaker. I am sure my wife thanks you.
Your wife sounds like mine. Us guys just have to have those discrete purchases now and then. If discovered, you tell her how much money you saved by buying it at a bargain price (Garage Sale, CL or eBay), that there were other items offered that you really wanted but were more expensive, but this was more practical than the...fishing gear, gun stuff, (pick what she knows you already have too much of or dislikes) so you resisted temptation and bought the more useful item.

Remember, there is that saying...Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Chainbreaker

Another similar option, and probably less cost, to expand utility would be to use a Temporary Power box or an RV outlet box. They usually include at least one 120 V GFCI outlet as well as 240V receptacles.

Here is one as an example: Siemens Temporary Power Box

NATCAD

nice integration of the switch for grounding.

You never know... I might need to help out a neighbor in need or power various equipment remotely in the field.

Oh yes!

Triton

This is the route I went, I got a Hanney reel with 150 feet of cord and I use two types of junction boxes to use 120 voltage only. Works good for outdoor parties or if the family needs extension cord power during an outage

Reel.jpg box.jpg 2016-12-03 18.36.15.jpg

Chainbreaker

Triton - That is a very slick setup you have going there! Now you have me thinking about potential add-ons to my spider box.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks