• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator trailer tongue jack

bones1

For bad back folks like me has anyone installed a trailer jack on their generator trailer, something a little easier on the back than the arrangement it came with which is a dead lift?. Side mount, flip up or the center triangle mount type which would require some metal work, no problem.

dmetalmiki

We have fixed standard caravan jack on trailers for people with the back problems. My big trailer had an ex army "landing jack" fixed to it, easy to use.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
High lift jacks work but are kind of dangerous. The best part is you can have one jack for several vehicles.

If you're going to have a weld on or bolt on jack, you can't hardly beat the Bulldog brand.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
High lift jacks work but are kind of dangerous. The best part is you can have one jack for several vehicles
Are you talking about just the small lifting part or something else? I haven't bought yet, just keep looking and trying to figure out what I need. I am looking for something that would take the Trailer(s), M38, or M880. More than likely going to get the "wheel" adapter for the jack with the straps and hook, big ground plate, and maybe more.

Chainbreaker

High lift jacks work but are kind of dangerous. QUOTE]

I agree with that statement. I have a High-Lift that I use to lift the front of my M116a2 generator trailer. It has 35 gal aux tank up front which makes it impossible to lift off the landing leg when full. One time as I was jacking the High-Lift jack slipped and changed the angle of jack and I almost lost it! For safety and ease of use I plan on going to a fixed bolt on jack very soon!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
High-lift jacks have a place and will work when others won't. They are also real handy.

The problem with them is they can be very unstable. You've just got to be careful with them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Hi Lift EJ550 is an equipment jack that has a provision to attach it to a trailer. Its really neat.

rustystud

In lieu of a proper tongue jack????

You are a young man, yes? 15-17 years old perhaps? No father too, yes?
OK now your just being mean. The Hi-Lift jack is a tool I recommend everyone carry on their trucks. I have 3 myself. They can be dangerous if used without common sense that is true, but I wouldn't demonize them. I do agree that you should have a "proper" trailer jack installed to lift the tongue. I wouldn't use any sold from "Harbor Freight" though. Get one from "Bulldog" manufacturing. Or go to a RV store and get a quality one from them.

quickfarms

In lieu of a proper tongue jack????

You are a young man, yes? 15-17 years old perhaps? No father too, yes?
They are a great tool.

If used correctly they are fantastic and very versatile. Mine is over 25 years old.

They need a little care and thought to be safe. I hate it when I see them hung on the outside of a jeep, the weather rusts and gunks them up.

Just let like snap chain binders, use a pipe as a cheater bar and they are dangerous, use the correct bar and they work great.

For the m101 series trailer the military jack is the best, I do not know why everyone is trying to reinvent the wheel. The only thing better is a crane or forklift.

tbearatkin

I do not think we are trying to reinvent the wheel. Not sure what military jack you are referring too. None of my trailers I have nor the ones I worked with in the military had a jack they all had a stand that dropped down and locked in place. The problem being very difficult for one person to lift off the hook and get the stand to lock into place. So we add the trailer jacks that mentioned in the previous post. Once its off the vehicle I will drop the trailer stand down and put the jack back up into place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks