• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting a MEP-016C going

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a MEP-016C the other day at a local auction. I didn't give much for it but the more I dig I'm starting to wonder if I bought a pile of parts.

There was a mouse hotel inside the control box with some of the wiring chewed up and a little corrosion (doesn't look too bad though).

What I'm working on right now is getting it running. This thing has been sitting for some time and had a bunch of stale gas in it. I drained the gas, cleaned the sediment bowl ( I didn't see a sediment bowl in the TM so I wonder if this is a civilian mod), added new gas, checked the oil, and tried to crank it.

I hooked up the slave cable and my first problem was when I hit the start switch all I got was a click. after fooling with it I finally got it to crank. I could start and run it on ether but could never get the sediment bowl to fill with gas so I'm not getting fuel. I tried to find the fuel priming procedure in the TM but I haven't seen it. Did I just overlook it or is it self priming? If it's self priming I'm wondering if my fuel pump is bad. I ran it for a good 30 seconds on ether but still no fuel to the carb.

After all this I guess my starter has played out. Now I don't get anything when I hit the start switch. I've pulled the starter and am going to have the local starter shop have a look at it.

This is my first experience with military gensets so any help would be greatly appreciated. I've done the search and found out a little info on the 016C but not a whole lot.

I'm also looking for the engine manual (TM 5-2805-203-14 I think). None of the usual sources seem to have it.

If it has been sitting for a long time with old gas the first thing I would have done would be to thoroughly clean out the whole fuel system. Especially the carb some thing my be sticking I dont have a clue as to how that one works but a good cleaning cant hurt.2cents

70deuce

Also check to see if the fuel selector valve is set to feed from the onboard tank. My 016C has a threaded tap on a selector valve to allow feed from an external fuel source i.e. a 5 gallon fuel can. That may be in the wrong position on yours. Also the carb has a manual primer lever on it to fill the float bowl. I may have the TM for it also and will forward it to you if I do. In warm temperatures mine starts on first or second pull with the rope start method.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel pumps are a problem on the 4A032. Fortunately they are cheap and newer ones have a primer lever. A mentioned check the selector position. Might try gravity feeding gas to the carb as a test riun. Also be advised, the governor can be overridden and the genset idled. Doing so frys the regulator so don't idle it..

TM attached.

Attachments

jbk

i thought the 16c was the diesel conversion model. the gasoline unit is 16a if you have the gasoline model and it has set for a long time you might need to make a parts order, fuel pump, carburetor. and points if its a none elec. ingnition model. these are the common failure points. saturn surplus has the nos parts.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An advisory note; make sure the generator head is free and clear of any dirt! I learned the hard way when the head finally failed and I discovered a handful of sand/gravel inside the housing...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the replies.

I fooled with it some more today. Managed to get the fuel system primed by slightly pressurizing the tank and cracking the line at the carb. It fired right up with the pull rope after she got some fuel.

Good news- It fired right up and ran pretty well.
Bad news- It smokes like crazy and is even blowing oil out the exhaust on both sides.
More bad news- I can't get a thing out of the generator. I can get the voltage gauge to wiggle just a little by fooling with the switches but that's it.

I'm starting to think I've got a pile of parts. What gets me is it's blowing oil out of both sides. I could see one cylinder going down but two at once seems odd. I've found a rebuild kit really cheap but I'm at the point now that I'm not sure I want to sink money into the engine because it appears the generator head may be junk.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ty. can you open up the top and take a pic for me? Want to see what regulator it has. If it's an open frame, might be a cheap fix for power. A few members have some NOS engines but you may have to haggle the price a bit. Most of the 3KWs like that didn't have the electric starter. Were you able to open/download the manual? Never tried to post one like that before.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll get you a pic Kenny. I've found a complete set of pistions, rings, and rods for $36, NOS. I don't think it will cost me all that much to fix the engine but I fear I'll still end up with a DOA head.

I don't know how you did it but the manual downloaded fine. Thanks a bunch. [thumbzup]

I've always wanted a genset but haven't bid on one on GL for fear of it having major problems. I'm starting to think my fears were well founded. I know almost nothing about gensets but I'm learning.

derf

I've gotten about 10 GL gens and so far all have been either in running condition or easy fixes. All that used batteries, though, had either no batteries or dead batteries. A few had full fuel and oil levels and those generally started right up. I've only gotten Diesel gens, so far, though.

ODdave

Subscribing as i just picked up a 016a a few days ago, looks like some usefull info to be had here. Very curious about the open frame regulator.

derf

I have a spare reg, tested and ready to go. I also have a spare 3kW head. I'm looking for a MEP-017 head.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the open frame regulator. Send a PM to Cranetruck and have him tell you what that little part was that failed on his. He can recommend the part number for it. He sent me one but I used it. The item is only a few bucks IIRC. Bjorn is the electronics guru, I just pay attention when I can.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Kenny. I'll holler at Bjorn if I can get the engine issues worked out

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks