• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Circuit Board Replacement Challenges

Wagner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been experiencing problems replacing the glow plug circuit board in my M1009 and I would appreciate any suggestions:

Problem #1:

After getting the GP card holder separated intact from the steering column; I am having difficulty in separating the back of the GP Controller board holder to gain access to the circuit board and I would appreciate any suggestions on how to achieve that.

Problem #2:

As I was trying to get the back off of the circuit board holder off I accidentally separated the black wire from the end of the board holder. Looking into the hole from which it came out of I could not find any way to reattach it. After the black wire became detached I tied the ignition switch and the GP solenoid would not operate nor would the "wait" light come on. So, I would appreciate any ideas on how to reattach the black wire to the GP circuit board holder or guidance on where to find a replacement board holder.

Thank you.

Wagner

Squibbly

I have been experiencing problems replacing the glow plug circuit board in my M1009 and I would appreciate any suggestions:

Problem #1:

After getting the GP card holder separated intact from the steering column; I am having difficulty in separating the back of the GP Controller board holder to gain access to the circuit board and I would appreciate any suggestions on how to achieve that.

Problem #2:

As I was trying to get the back off of the circuit board holder off I accidentally separated the black wire from the end of the board holder. Looking into the hole from which it came out of I could not find any way to reattach it. After the black wire became detached I tied the ignition switch and the GP solenoid would not operate nor would the "wait" light come on. So, I would appreciate any ideas on how to reattach the black wire to the GP circuit board holder or guidance on where to find a replacement board holder.

Thank you.

Wagner
First time I've uploaded a video. Sorry if it sucks but here's how to open the GP Module case.

Squibbly

As far as the black wire, what does it look like right now? Is it a broken wire, or does it have a pin on it?

I'll have a closer look tomorrow depending on your answer. Too cold out there right now for my blood.
I almost lost a testicle inside my body getting that video recorded. 🥶

Last edited:

Wagner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the black wire, what does it look like right now? Is it a broken wire, or does it have a pin on it?

I'll have a closer look tomorrow depending on your answer. Too cold out there right now for my blood.
I almost lost a testicle inside my body getting that video recorded. 🥶
The wire is broke with barely any copper showing. I could not see anything metal to attach it to...it must have broken at or very close to the attaching point deep in the case.

MarcusOReallyus

The wire is broke with barely any copper showing. I could not see anything metal to attach it to...it must have broken at or very close to the attaching point deep in the case.

Well, that ain't fun. You will likely need to take everything apart to make a repair. I've never had mine apart (no need so far) so I can't really offer any specific advice, but if you get it dissassembled and post pics, we can likely offer some tips.

Squibbly

At the top of the connector, on one of the sides you'll see a piece of plastic that sits diagonal to the top of the connector. There is two of them, and they can be pried forward. They have teeth that keep the pins held in. Pry the side forward that contains the wire you broke.

I don't know exactly what the release is for these wires but usually you can stick a small pick or paperclip into a spot where the specific pin is being held and you'll hear a little 'click' noise where it will release it. It won't release the pins unless you pry that plastic piece away so the teeth come out of the top of the connector.

You're going to either need a new pin, or if that one can be de-soldered and re-soldered do that.

I'll try to do a video tomorrow. I ran out of daylight.

Squibbly

I tried to get the pin out of the plug today. You definitely need to get those teeth out of the side, but unlike most connectors like these in cars, there is no spot where the pin is that you can slide a small screwdriver or paperclip into. If there were a picture someplace of what those pins actually look like it would probably be obvious.

After thinking about it a little more, if it is the black wire only that came off of yours, then that actually attached to the same pin as the grey wire.

You could save yourself the headache of messing up the connector and just splice the black wire into the grey one before the connector. They are both going to the same pin.

Snap28.png

This is the teeth I was talking about that usually keep the pins from accidentally coming out.

Snap29.png

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks