• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug controller / manually glow System

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,
is there anybody who can tell me why owners may change from the glow plug controller to manually glow system?
What ist the advantage?
After the controller now is broken the second time and no more new one are available in Germany I start to think about that issue again.
I was really happy to read that now in USA is someone who rebuilt this controller.
I got another used one for run in the Pickup but it is not better as the two others before. And I also has contact to someone in Germany which be able to check and repair such a card.

After there is now the possibility to buy a replacemant part as well as repair the card still a lot of change on manually glow system. There is in germany also someone who done this in his carshop for you if you don`t want or not be able to do yourself the transfer.

Exists anywhere a circuit diagram of this card?

thanks for any opinion to this
Phoenix-GER

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,
is there anybody who can tell me why owners may change from the glow plug controller to manually glow system?
What ist the advantage?
After the controller now is broken the second time and no more new one are available in Germany I start to think about that issue again.
I was really happy to read that now in USA is someone who rebuilt this controller.
I got another used one for run in the Pickup but it is not better as the two others before. And I also has contact to someone in Germany which be able to check and repair such a card.

After there is now the possibility to buy a replacemant part as well as repair the card still a lot of change on manually glow system. There is in germany also someone who done this in his carshop for you if you don`t want or not be able to do yourself the transfer.

Exists anywhere a circuit diagram of this card?

thanks for any opinion to this
Phoenix-GER
I currently have a problem in my M1028 in that the wait light flickers while driving. I've stopped trying to figure it out. I removed the card which stops the flickering wait light. I installed a push button and it does what I need it to. I plan on doing a frame off restoration of this truck as soon as I get my M1008 back on the road, otherwise I would invest the time to fix it correctly right now.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I currently have a problem in my M1028 in that the wait light flickers while driving. I've stopped trying to figure it out. I removed the card which stops the flickering wait light. I installed a push button and it does what I need it to. I plan on doing a frame off restoration of this truck as soon as I get my M1008 back on the road, otherwise I would invest the time to fix it correctly right now.
Just remove the card can result in hardly problems as there are serveral things which involved by the card. Did you modificate something and work all good in this condition? We expected before storage the coming down of the card as we needed two times before the engine started. The same symptom as the first card come down. We had after 15 years in storage more problems than expected on fuel and electrical system. All problems solved after locating any reason. It took a lot of our holiday time between the last 3 years. Fortunately are all parts we needed still available as we don't like to built up by used parts. But at least it was a big challenge for us and more than one time we thought about the sense of doing the job. Nevertheless giving up was never an option for us. I am really wondering how can be such a weak part like that controller card build in a military vehicle. It seems like it is easy to change, don't take much storage place as long as there are enough cards available.... Another advantage for us: it is now not necessary as daily car. Otherwise we had much more pressure to hold the running condition. Nevertheless it is really annoying to have a breakdown away from home. Our M1008 was before storage a reliable daily truck and we be sure to become him back in this condition.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remove the card can result in hardly problems as there are serveral things which involved by the card. Did you modificate something and work all good in this condition? We expected before storage the coming down of the card as we needed two times before the engine started. The same symptom as the first card come down. We had after 15 years in storage more problems than expected on fuel and electrical system. All problems solved after locating any reason. It took a lot of our holiday time between the last 3 years. Fortunately are all parts we needed still available as we don't like to built up by used parts. But at least it was a big challenge for us and more than one time we thought about the sense of doing the job. Nevertheless giving up was never an option for us. I am really wondering how can be such a weak part like that controller card build in a military vehicle. It seems like it is easy to change, don't take much storage place as long as there are enough cards available.... Another advantage for us: it is now not necessary as daily car. Otherwise we had much more pressure to hold the running condition. Nevertheless it is really annoying to have a breakdown away from home. Our M1008 was before storage a reliable daily truck and we be sure to become him back in this condition.
You asked and I answered. I'm doing fine without the control card. I'll fix it when I fix it.

pevrs114

You discovered the problem:

because the card is fickle and when it goes out, it’s hard to get the truck to start.

Easy override to manual control.

MarcusOReallyus

I have a switch as a backup in case my controller fails. I don't want to replace the controller, but it's nice having the backup. I have not had to use it yet.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You asked and I answered. I'm doing fine without the control card. I'll fix it when I fix it.
I don`t want blame you for not fixing anything. I wonder if it works as I thought about the same to do .... but as I had informed me about that way did i found a lot of different opinion in this case and so i decided not to do because i fear damage of a wrong performance.
As there ist a car shop in germany which do this changing must it work in the right performance. They must give a warranty on their job. As i know they put other glow plugs (60G) inside and bridged the controller card. The information of this can be found in several forums.
It would be easier if i know what this card all effected but wherever I searched I never found any information about this. Also nothing about the circuits on the card

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a switch as a backup in case my controller fails. I don't want to replace the controller, but it's nice having the backup. I have not had to use it yet.
Seems to be a good option - maybe one or two starts out of card and changing anything will not damage. How do you connect this?

We done several tests with the defect controller before we could figure out the problem.
At least we found of this damaged glowplugs (13G) - a failure what is describe anywhere what could happened by defect on this system. The glowplugs was all brand new.
I think the switch is a good option not to break down anywhere away from home, but it should repair before more damage can result. The other six glow plugs was not in better condition....

IMG-20210515-WA0003.jpeg

IMG-20210516-WA0003.jpeg

The card which failure - will gone to an electronic-engineer to measure and repair. I have seen in USA is there also a company which repair the cards. I will at least got two cards in working condition. This thing look so simple and innocent but can bring down the complete truck.

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Marcus - could you share details of how your switch is wired? This subject has been hammered over the years however the new members may not know how to wire in a momentary switch to the blue wire at the card. Now that I think about it, I’m not sure I remember how to do it myself. Thanks for your post.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Marcus - could you share details of how your switch is wired? This subject has been hammered over the years however the new members may not know how to wire in a momentary switch to the blue wire at the card. Now that I think about it, I’m not sure I remember how to do it myself. Thanks for your post.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don`t want blame you for not fixing anything. I wonder if it works as I thought about the same to do .... but as I had informed me about that way did i found a lot of different opinion in this case and so i decided not to do because i fear damage of a wrong performance.
As there ist a car shop in germany which do this changing must it work in the right performance. They must give a warranty on their job. As i know they put other glow plugs (60G) inside and bridged the controller card. The information of this can be found in several forums.
It would be easier if i know what this card all effected but wherever I searched I never found any information about this. Also nothing about the circuits on the card
You won't damage the system by using a push button for the glowplugs. Simply splice into the blue wire going to the card housing and wire it to a botton which is then wired to ground.

Yes, the card cycles the glowplugs until the engine is warm but not having that function won't damage the system. Good luck.

Check out these posts please.

Last edited:

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks I found that threads this morning and it helps to understand more of the function. Still waiting on some parts before I can go on with solving that problem.

MarcusOReallyus

You won't damage the system by using a push button for the glowplugs. Simply splice into the blue wire going to the card housing and wire it to a botton which is then wired to ground.

Yes, the card cycles the glowplugs until the engine is warm but not having that function won't damage the system. Good luck.

Check out these posts please.

Ya beat me to it! (y)

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1028 truck went to a small mountain fire department after serving in the Air Force. Someone there put in a momentary switch and it works great, just have to remember to push the button and hold until the GP heat up enough to start. I have put about 3,000 miles on it since I bought it and have never had any issues with the GPs. The wait light still comes on.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1028 truck went to a small mountain fire department after serving in the Air Force. Someone there put in a momentary switch and it works great, just have to remember to push the button and hold until the GP heat up enough to start. I have put about 3,000 miles on it since I bought it and have never had any issues with the GPs. The wait light still comes on.
For us it is now the second time where the controller goes down. Something we should thought about for the future. All around starts to change on the manually glow, so it seems to work. I am still not sure what we will do. Starting in the next holiday time a measurement around the electrical wiring. We thought there was something broken what let down one glowplug. This effected the others and the circuit closed. Every start up become more difficult until it break down. So i guess one after the other glowplug go down. The controller shows a failure but i am not sure if there is any other broken in the electrical circuit. There was a lot of small difficult failures after the long time storage. The solenoid works. The last big lost was during a maintance trip the engine stop working out of any reason. The complete fuelsystem (tank, lines, injektors ...) was changed, so nothing can failure on this. At least we found a failure in the generators. One generator was changed just before storage and the other was around 4 years in work before storage. At least the generators don`t work and after the battery become to weak during drive the solenoid shut down.... So far our assesment on this happening. If any have another opinion, let me know. If there is enough power of battery/generator runing of engine is out of problem. Doesn't expecting in the generators a failure so i haven't test them.... Put new batterys inside before restart the engine. It seems all the time we had never a reload from the generators also i had not done any check of it. My own fault..... Sometime we are looking for complicate things but the simple one right in front of our noses is hidden.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After the situation of glow plugs we took a sight inside with an endoskop (going in during injektor hole)

IMG_0008.JPG

Seems we have before bodyworks a job to do on the engine....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks