• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Copper Washer Source? For MEP-002/003

Chainbreaker

So I was doing some preventative maintenance on one of my generators and decided to pull the glow plugs to put some copper anti-seize on them. I got the plugs out no problem, however I buggered up the copper washers getting them out. With glow plug in hand I thought I would just go to my local NAPA auto parts store and obtain a proper fit copper washer. Well to make a long story short... 5 different auto parts stores, 1 fuel injection shop, a call to a local Onan/Cummins dealer and NO ONE seems to have any copper washers that small. Reference: these are washers for Wellman 6A843GO42K (same as Champion 182 type CH42, Onan 333-0107 old # 333-0104). we are just talking about a simple copper washer, where did they all go??? I am striking out and now my generator is down. :(

Anyone have a source for just the washers? According to an earlier post here on SS the washers are 3/8" OD x 1/4" ID x .032" thick. There was also a reference part # for an exact fit at McMaster Carr but when I plug that part number in it does not come up anymore. I don't need anymore spare glow plugs just the washers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chainbreaker

Are you sure you entered it right? I just bought a set of 10 of these washers last week from McMaster. https://www.mcmaster.com/#94397A542
I had the McMaster filter on to only show copper washers. The 94397A542 are listed as bronze not copper. I'm no metallurgist but I thought all crush washers (forming) were always copper. I guess bronze "might" work in a pinch but could be more problematic to remove later.

I just hit the order button on McMaster's 97725A100 Metal Sealing Washer, Copper, M6 Screw Size 6.2mm ID, 9.9mm OD. I then ordered a an adjustable reamer so I can open up the ID a fraction to .250 dia: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LEY4O70/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sheesh, the trouble one has to go through now-a-days to get a couple of frigging washers! :cookoo:

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Thanks Boatman69, those you found on Amazon are offered at a much better price than the ones I found at McMaster-Carr but they are slightly larger both in OD & ID and thickness.

I think the prior owner of my unit might have substituted a similar sized OD washer. Unfortunately once the GP's were seated and torqued they deformed the washers such that the outer edge of washer had formed a circular flange being just slightly larger than the beveled area in the head's GP sealing seat. The deformed washers then held tight against the circumference of the Glow Plug recess below the threaded area. They were a real bugger to get out. I had to make my own extraction tool...I used one of those metal paint can openers (the one that looks like a church key bottle opener on one end and has the curved "J" hook on the other end. After grinding the tip width down a bit I was able to slip it inside the washer area and catch and pry the inner diameter lip of the washer and pull very hard with my thumb in the church key like opening of the opener. I took several tries but I got them out but they were not pretty once extracted.

In hindsight... I could have probably left the original washers in had I not tried to extract them and thereby mangling them. However, I always attempt to try to do things right the first time as I didn't want to end up finding leaking GP's because I took a short cut by not replacing a simple washer; at least I thought it was going to be a simple washer to find and replace!

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bronze should retain some of the malleability of copper (since copper is in it), but offer increased wear and ruggedness compared to straight copper.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Chainbreaker

Bronze should retain some of the malleability of copper (since copper is in it), but offer increased wear and ruggedness compared to straight copper.
However, we must consider that "copper alloy" was the material for the GP washers that were spec'd by the OEM engine designers (Onan).

Reference from lookup of TM part:
5310-00-199-5761
Washer, Flat
Material: Copper alloy overall
Material Document and Classification: QQ-C-501 fed spec single material response overall
Hole Diameter: 0.250 inches minimum and 0.252 inches maximum

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bronze part is 95% copper (versus 99% for the other link). I have bronze for use as backups. Time will tell if I made a bad decision... though I'm not super concerned. :)

Chainbreaker

Success! I was able to cross index to Onan PN's with the help of the Onan guys over at SmokeStak. With the info I provided they jumped right on it and were able to cross index and provided me with the following Onan PN's:

110-0546 Gasket - Glow Plug (the copper washer)
332-0863 Terminal - Rcpt
898-0037 Sleeving
333-0104 Glow Plug (24V)

FYI - The kit # for all the above parts is: "333-0107 24-Volt Glow Plug Replacement"

With the individual #'s I was able to order from my local Cummins/Onan dealer the correct size washers and ordered some terminals and sleeving as spares to boot while I was at it. Warning - These OEM prices ala-cart are a bit pricey, not sure what the kit costs. However, just the tiny copper washers were $2.50 each. Now I won't have to fuss with reaming out the McMaster-Carr ones I purchased. I was concerned about damaging such a small fragile washer when trying to hold them to keep from spinning while reaming them. Oh well, I guess I'll have some spares that can be modified and used later!

Chainbreaker

I would be tempted to drill out a penny for these. Cheap
Believe me...I had similar thoughts. At one point during my hunt for these elusive washers I was considering obtaining a small sheet of .032 copper and drilling out the .250 ID and then use something like one of those leather punches that you strike with a hammer to punch out the 3/8" OD. The issue with using such a MacGyverish technique would be finding a way to maintain concentricity. Anyway, glad I found the real deal OEM washers! Even at $2.50 ea I'm still way ahead with the 10 pack of Champion 182/CH42 glow plugs I snagged last year for $50. $7.50 per glow plug including cost of my newly found OEM washers is still a great deal.

Triple Jim

If you want to use a penny, it'll have to be an old one, since they've been copper plated zinc since 1982. Even then it won't be pure copper than can be annealed to a full soft state the way gaskets need to be.

Last edited:

csheath

the 1/4" ID washers in the item#67526 set from Harbor Freight are a shade over 1/2" OD and .038" thick. In a pinch you could bolt some of those together and file the OD down in a drill press or turn them in a lathe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks