• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Resistors

Tailwheel

Alright, I know a lot has been said on the subject and I’ve read the forums, but I gotta know, if these have been bypassed is there any point in taking them back to OE? For the record, my truck starts instantly, all the time, so I don’t need to do anything. Just curious about folks opinions.

Someone has cut the 10ga wires on the resistors. I hate hack jobs, so it’s either revert it back to original, or remove the resistors from the truck and use the space for something else. Opinions please

Last edited:

Squibbly

Alright, I know a lot has been said on the subject and I’ve read the forums, but I gotta know, if these have been bypassed is there any point in taking them back to OE? For the record, my truck starts instantly, all the time, so I don’t need to do anything. Just curious about folks opinions.

Someone has cut the 10ga wires on the resistors. I hate hack jobs, so it’s either revert it back to original, or remove the resistors from the truck and use the space for something else. Opinions please
I believe in it's stock condition, using the resistor pack allows you to equally draw off both batteries for the glow plugs instead of an uneven discharge on a single battery.
The claim from some is that the resistors can get hot and start a fire, or you can burn out your GPs. I think the AC Delco 60Gs are self-limiting to prevent a situation like that, and I don't know under what conditions a resistor pack would start a fire unless someone monkeyed with the wiring.

Tailwheel

I believe in it's stock condition, using the resistor pack allows you to equally draw off both batteries for the glow plugs instead of an uneven discharge on a single battery.
The claim from some is that the resistors can get hot and start a fire, or you can burn out your GPs. I think the AC Delco 60Gs are self-limiting to prevent a situation like that, and I don't know under what conditions a resistor pack would start a fire unless someone monkeyed with the wiring.
Unfortunately I purchased a set of Wellman's (DieselRX) BEFORE I read through all the info on this site. Now I know the 60G's seem to be the preferred go-to. I might just order the 60G's and keep the Wellman's as spares. I'll probably keep the resistors disabled as the truck starts perfect now, just a minor bump of the key, and its been that way for 3-years.

Barrman

It isn't in the way unless you like pulling the vacuum pump or messing with the oil psi sender. So, it can stay on the truck for the original look if you like. Having written that I pulled the non used resistor off both of my M1009 trucks and wired my M715 just like a CUCV without the resistor. I have used the slave cables to jump some pretty dead batteries with the resistor removed. I just let the vehicles talk to each other 5-10 minutes before I turn on any switches for the dead one. No problems yet.

Tailwheel

It isn't in the way unless you like pulling the vacuum pump or messing with the oil psi sender. So, it can stay on the truck for the original look if you like. Having written that I pulled the non used resistor off both of my M1009 trucks and wired my M715 just like a CUCV without the resistor. I have used the slave cables to jump some pretty dead batteries with the resistor removed. I just let the vehicles talk to each other 5-10 minutes before I turn on any switches for the dead one. No problems yet.
Thanks. Good info. I will pull the resistors. Its a nice bracket and I can certainly use it to mount other things.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
If it is already cut out of the system then I see no reason to keep or reattach it.

Keep it with the truck if you ever decide to sell it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks