• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got another Deuce! ('70)

DavidWymore

...kinda. Storing it until I can get something else sold to buy it. Pretty nice except the trans is blown up.

First pic is with the "water deuce" aka Paramount water truck.

FullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender (1).jpg

Last edited:

Akicita

That isn't a chrome exhaust stack is it? Cannot really tell from the picture on my small screen. Other than that, she's nice Kermit-green and has a new (or almost new) camo tarp. There are still some good trucks out there. They're getting more scarce here on the other coast. Good for you that you found such a nice-looking one.
Best of luck with it!

DavidWymore

Thanks.

I think the stack is just grayed from heat/weather. I'm in the desert, so the whole thing is faded, but should buff out.

The electric fuel pump makes funny noises, and it doesn't start/run real well, no fuel out the bleeder with just the elec pump running. I think maybe the suction hose is rotted/perforated. There are also some shiny pump shaped plates laying in the bottom of the tank. Will see after work today hopefully.

Last edited:

DavidWymore

The guts fell out of the '70 pump. Of course I can't find the last plate in the tank, probably behind the rear baffle.

Got the security crews out, swapped pumps from the old '62 one on the right, which has a bad motor. It doesn't pump on the good '70 motor either, so going to have to get more creative.

12074511_10205542991317320_1582812297864269877_n.jpg12106704_10205542903035113_5333288568173847678_n.jpg12106942_10205542873754381_4596254919426090242_n.jpg

12088467_10205538875654431_4882362947166413874_n.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

New and better direct fit pumps are 50 bucks now.
The guy who sells the "Parker" pumps is running low on them. So if you want one better get on it now. The Parker pumps run much quieter then the Olympic pumps do. I have a new Olympic pump in my right tank and a Parker pump in my left tank. Both run at about 9 psi .

DavidWymore

Fished out the bottom plate, drilled and bolted the sandwich back together with a 10-32 screw. It works, but she's still a little slow to start, doesn't start with a bang on the first crank like my others. Found a leak at the primary filter, and haven't changed filters or anything yet.12063588_10205544208827757_5871355904822641204_n.jpg

Last edited:

Akicita

I could hear my pump run all the way up in the cab a few years ago. I replaced the whole thing and have had no problems since. I found a lot of gunk when I pulled the old one out.

Pictures:
- inside the tank
- dirty hose and clogged filter of old pump
- clean hose and shiny filter of new pump
- stuff I found on the old pump in a tin can. (The can has nothing to do with the truck. I just needed something to put the "stuff" in.)

Attachments

rustystud

I could hear my pump run all the way up in the cab a few years ago. I replaced the whole thing and have had no problems since. I found a lot of gunk when I pulled the old one out.

Pictures:
- inside the tank
- stuff I found on the old pump in a tin can. (The can has nothing to do with the truck. I just needed something to put the "stuff" in.)
MAN ! That was one nasty fuel pump !

Jeepsinker

Find out what your trans needs. I have some brand new parts including a mainshaft that I removed today when I installed my overdrive kit. If it needs more than that I have a couple of whole used transmissions here, if you can't source one closer. Nice looking truck though.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Pictures:
- inside the tank
That's what I call funk!!!

DavidWymore

Jeepsinker, I'm trying to get my hands on red's trans, (the guys who's putting in the DT466) which hopefully just needs an input, and may get another from a boneyard a little east of me.

I also know of one that's supposed to be a good running takeout north of me in LA, but it's a little far and a little more than I want to pay. I'll try to scrounge one together first...I almost never scrap anything. ;-)

...and I have the one in the '62 A1 and the '66 Paramount water truck, both of which are semi-functional. I think the '62 is just noisy, output bearing, and the '66 pops out of a couple gears.

Right now the rough plan is to get ownership of the green '70 and turn the two ex water trucks into a backup deuce/water truck or water trailer tow pig (in the yard). Shouldn't be too hard, all it would have to do is go and stop. No lights, working front axle, registration, etc. We took the tank off the '62 when we got it and made a trailer out of it, but it's a hassle to hitch and unhitch our F700 every time we want to water, which is almost every day.

I still also have spare axles, frame, and cab/bed...

DavidWymore

So... back to working on getting this one on the road and paid for. Pretty excited, will finally have a deuce I can actually drive and take to the desert to do some offroading and dragging junk around. :)

Fixed the horn last night, just the connector pulled loose at the steering wheel. Needs bigger horns like my '62, sounds too hi pitched.

Probably going to need an alternator, looking into something like this :

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-8080-...&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CKrx2_foucoCFcwWHwodatEMbw

It's always a booger to start, I go out and start all my junk every few days, and it seems like these batts go dead even disconnected. PO put them in a few months ago.

While the alt is out, gonna fix the primary filter leak...and check all the fuel filters.

Main issue is to troubleshoot the trans. It's OK with the clutch in, but when I let it up, it starts popping and the stick starts jumping around on it's own, regardless of what position it's in. I've only creeped it around the yard in low a tiny bit so as to hopefully not mangle anything any worse than it is. Puked a bunch of oil out as well.

DavidWymore

The batteries the PO put in it were kinda small and cheap. Put a couple Group 31s in it, topped them off with the CUCV and that seems to have taken care of that issue. I was afraid it was the starter there for a bit.

My rehashed fuel pump makes enough flow to make the primary fuel filter leak, and bleed the air out, but not enough to make a 0-60 psi pressure gauge register any pressure. Ordered a Parker from beltfed on Ebay.

I found the problem with the trans. PO kerboomed it somehow.

1-23-16 trans.jpg
Dig that crispy alternator...might try to rebuild it with parts from Erik's depending on what all is bad.

Alternator.jpg

DavidWymore

Pulled the alt, looking into a 21SI. While it was out, I attacked the leak at the primary filter. I used to think everything on a deuce was pretty open and easy to work on 'til I tackled these two projects. Made a custom wrench socket to get the compression fitting off the 90 at the filter outlet. Flare was cracked off half way around. Some previous owner left the spring and cup out of the primary housing, so the little filter was just hanging out half way down not doing anything,and there was a bunch of crud in the bottom, petcock wouldn't drain. It'll be interesting to see the inside of the secondary filter, since it's probably been catching all the crud.

Attachments

DavidWymore

Replaced primary filter, repaired leak at filter (reflared broken line) Got secondary fuel filters, belts, hoses, installed Parker pump. Ordered used alternator. Ordered a locking door handle...

Started broken trans removal under watch of some Ospreys.

2016-2-4 01.jpg2016-2-4 02.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks