• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got another deuce! M50 saved from the scrapper.

DavidWymore

Tank got scrapped but I got the truck.

The question is what next? Some bonehead cut the batt cables so I’ll fix that and put batts in it. Gotta clean out the tank. Suppose I could slave fuel and batts off the ‘70. But what about the shutoff cover being left off? Dare I try to clean it out and run it without removing the IP?

Attachments

77 AMG

Excellent save, sir! I would look at cleaning out the housing with some brake cleaner and see what it looks like from there. I believe that if everything looks still sealed, and moves without sticking, that you should probably be all right. My Deuce had been sitting under a fir tree for 3-4 years before I found it. The fuel cut-off was slightly sticky, with a *small* amount of oil in the housing. Cleaned it up/out, no troubles since.

DavidWymore

I need to look at my junk pump that is uninstalled. The trick is to clean it out without the junk running further down into the pump or engine. Maybe remove some covers, spray, shop vac sucking out one cover and air blowing in another.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to look at my junk pump that is uninstalled. The trick is to clean it out without the junk running further down into the pump or engine. Maybe remove some covers, spray, shop vac sucking out one cover and air blowing in another.
Dave, I like these bring em back from the dead projects. Please keep us posted on this project as you progress.[thumbzup] Also I agree with Rusty's post. Remove the IP, clean, inspect, and reinstall the IP.

DavidWymore

if I ever finish my '62, that will be the back-from-the-dead rebuild. Mainly got this one because I don't have any TD blocks. We'll see how it goes. Want to build a bobber maybe to sell and maybe a modified 6x6 offroader, stripped down with lockers etc. Need to start selling parts though, I'm out of fun $ and have 4 other projects too. Merry Christmas to me, and to y'all!. :)

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a spare M50 tank with the PTO shaft and rear sprocket still on it .

It was in a rollover, but you can cut the outer aluminum skin off and remove the insulation and the inner tank is fine, build your own enclosure or leave it be .

Looks like someone already found an old metal top for you at least anyway, nice score I love the water trucks .

DavidWymore

So finally got back around to it, long quarantined weekend adventure. If I can get pics and stuff to work, full report to follow.

I haven’t been around here much, kinda made the jump to bookface a few years ago. It’s nice for chatting but junk for looking back over your stuff after you forget what you did a couple years ago.

So I intend to be back around more, fixing up my various deuces for sale, etc.

Have about 7 now I think. One nice runner, the ‘70. Two runners that need work, the M50 and the dropside. Two parts trucks, ‘62 A1 ( my first truck that I want to rebuild some day) and ‘66 P2000 civvy water truck, fiberglass cab, tilt front end, 12v (kinda runs and drives, but lots wrong including frame).

Recently dragged ‘53 compressor truck into my yard as well. Then have a partial gasser carcass as spare parts for it and a wrecked/burned multifuel carcass too...

DavidWymore

Back to this truck...I think I had my wife drag it back and forth in gear with a forklift while I tried to see if the hydraulic head plunger was plunging a while ago but never got beyond that.

Got a wild hair and needed a project to focus on instead of all the craziness going on late last week, so decided to make up some battery cables for it and borrow the batts from the dropside.
Fuel lift pump made noise but no fuel. Fuel smelled nasty. Upon further inspection later, there was just gunk stuck on the bottom of the tank.
It cranked over, but didn’t seem like plunger was plunging enough (3/16”) and the shutoff rod was very stiff. The lift pump was covered with a thick layer of nasty. I started it soaking thurs or Friday in carb chem dip. Filter cans were dirty but not full of solid gunk as I feared.

The shutoff cover had also been left off. Up to this point, I was tinkering on it out in the storage yard out back using the ‘70 for air, etc. I decided to go all in Saturday midday. Towed it up to the shop, soaked and pressure washed the engine. Still need to wash the dirt, trash, and rat turds out of the cab.
Pulled it around the back of the pressure washer next to the slab, dug a hole for the driver tire to get it lower and easier to reach. Parked the 4runner nearby with my tools in it, ran an air hose out.
Pulled the hydraulic head, button was still on after all, but plunger was stiff. Cleaned and lubed it all real good and reassembled. Pulled the drain plug out of the bottom of the IP, and cleaned it out.

After the lift pump had soaked for a couple days, I steam cleaned it. The outside looked a lot better, but the inside was still full of gunk. I ground the retainer nubs off, and removed the bottom plate. It was full! I cleaned it all out mechanically and then ran it in chem dip at gimpyrobb’s suggestion. I still need to go back and drill and tap for some screws to retain the bottom plate.

Sunday afternoon, I reinstalled the HH, but vertical slop in the plunger had me second guessing. The lift pump was working now, so I pulled one injector out and connected an injector line to it and the hydraulic head. I’ve been wanting to try firing an injector out of an engine for a long time anyway just to see, and I wanted to see if the hydraulic head was generating enough pressure to fire an injector. I turned the lift pump on, bled the system, and cranked it over. The holes in the hydraulic head that did not have lines in them spurted pretty well, a couple feet, but the injector did not fire a mist. I was bummed. It was time for a break anyway, so I went and sat down and posted on Facebook in the Deuce group. Got some advice from Jeepsinker to try oil instead of old fuel to see if the HH was worn. Once I went back outside, I decided to try it as it was one more time. Injector Mist! I guess the injector line and injector just needed to be filled with fuel by more cranking before it would pop.
After that, I quickly reinstalled the rest of the injector lines. Cranked for a few seconds and rumbled to life! Woohoo!

About half the gauges and the headlights work, but alt doesn’t charge, etc.. Air built up, horn works, dead brake pedal.

I ran it through the gears in low and trans feels good, which is great, I’ve had terrible trans luck. Smoked myself out in the process because the exhaust water tank heater valve was open, and the smoke sucked into the cab through the back window, haha. Window doesn’t close because scrappers smashed the cab when they removed the tank (and broke the taillights). I’m gonna have to learn deuce electrical.

Attachments

DavidWymore

Still have stuff to button up (injector line clamps, etc.) and lots of things to fix(axle boots, seals, brakes), but stoked to find it’s a runner and my $ wasn’t wasted. Registration might be a challenge. Hmm.

More pics!

Attachments

Katavic918

Sounds really good. Am I correct in assuming the thing with the impeller is the injection pump? It must have been sitting for 20+ years. Good luck with it. Stay safe out there in Cali.

DavidWymore

Sounds really good. Am I correct in assuming the thing with the impeller is the injection pump? It must have been sitting for 20+ years. Good luck with it. Stay safe out there in Cali.
That is the lift pump that goes in the tank. The more complicated looking machinery is the hydraulic head (“distributor”) off the top of the IP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks