• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my coveted M-37

3dAngus

MY greatest desire in the MV world, after buying three deuces, was to obtain and improve upon a M-37, a 3/4 ton Dodge pickup of the Korean War era. This is a 1954, and is representative of the M-37 (M-42) my Dad used on a great hunting expedition in Alaska prior to Alaska becoming a state. I always wanted a M-37 to have and hold in his honor. I'll put up a picture of his hunting expedition, where he brought meat to the mess hall at Ft. Richardson, back in 1957/58?

I traveled to the East coast of Georgia wondering if my trailer would even handle the 5700 pounds of weight. Backing it in and keeping the major part of the weight closest to the axles was a big help and kept the tongue weight down, though my pickup did pull down in the rear some anyway. Of course, the back end of the trailer pulled down some too, so much so we needed a jack to get the two jacks out from under the dovetail that I put there for extra stability with loading it up.

The trip was uneventful but tiring. It was 200 miles in both directions. I got a chance to eat some shrimp, one of my favorite meals while on the eastern coastline. My plans are to clean er up, paint it, and love it. I hope to get a cover for the back end over the bed, and add on my M101 trailer for the full effect.

I'm a happy camper. Engine runs great with a carburator rebuilt, but brakes are a bit soft and need more work before I let my wife drive it. Hope to have it ready by the Ga. Rally, but with a deuce bob project going on at the same time, it might be a bit tough to get them both painted in time.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Looks like ya done good!

Body looks sound and complete and she's a runner/stopper so what the heck...leave the deuce home and bring her along!:beer:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations. Other then putting a winch on her, you will be hard pressed to improve the M-37 in its handlying. The low speed and torque of that little engine to the running gear, is a perfect match. A full set of chains, and your ready for the wilderness. She isn't fast, but she'll get there.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a great truck and sounds like the running gear is in good condition also.

The M-37's are dependable and fun once properly maintained.

There's lots and lots of accessories to collect also! Just like a Barbi doll.

Have fun! :beer:

Storm 51

jw4x4

That is a great looking truck. I have seen alot of ghost flame paint jobs on hot rods and race cars, but that has got to be the first ghost camo paint I have ever seen. Kinda reminds me of tie-dye. Is a re-paint in your plans?

3dAngus

Seems like I have some research to do. Ill check the dataplate tomorrow. It was in bad shape. It appears f
by concensus it is a marine vehicle. I never knew there was a difference and this is my first one so I guess I suck.

Im going to repaint it. It does look kinda cool but sometimes when I look at it I feel like it was painted with a paintball gun.:grin:

If the marine stuff is bolt on rather then weld on Ill remove it. If welded on Ill leave it and just be an old Army guy witha jarhead MV. :jumpin:

Ill know more tomorrow after I look at it again. Today I took it down and powerwashed the underchassis and engine. Tomorrow I am reving the grill and wire brushing it and painting it and the radiator.

Any recommendations on a good Korean War era paint would be nice. I have cases of gillespie 383carc replacement and would use ona deuce but it is not dark enough for this old 1954.

3dAngus

And yep! It is a M-37 on the dataplate, belonging to the Marine Corp.

I guess the refurbishment will just have to go along with the truck ID tags.

It might not be the ideal candidate for a Infantry Museum being a MC vehicle, but, I'm thrilled to have it and it will do for my personal preferences. I'll just keep it in the family.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A paint suggestion for your truck is TM9 Restorations Catalyzed Urethane 1968-1974 Olive Drab 24087. This would be correct for aVN era truck. You might also try their USMC O.D. if you go that route.

http://tm9ordnance.com/products.asp

These are very hard paints and stand up extremely well. They are very scratch and chip resistant, plus gasoline and solvents have no negative effects if removed in a reasonable period of time.

The truck in my avatar is painted with this paint.

Storm 51

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks