• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my first thumbs up yesterday,,,

Jesse6325

So,,,, I took the deuce out yesterday to warm it up in peperation to change the oil,
Right before I reach my driveway I meet one of my neighbors coming the other way so I get halfway in the ditch to let him by and as he goes by he gives me a big ear to ear grin and a thumbs up!
I know it's not really a big thing but I am still smiling when I think about it.

MDSA

I know the feeling. When I got my Deuce, I wondered what my neighbors' reactions would be. One older lady up the road was the first to smile and wave real big. Just makes me feel better.

gunboy1656

I still get a big smile when I get thumbs ups, wave and salutes. Even get them when I get middle fingers going past golf courses, of course when I get those I hit the horn back.

My wife gets very shocked when she follows me somewhere and she sees everyones reactions to me rolling down the road.

jeeplvr247

I think my neighbors only smiled when I sold my m1009. I work mornings and I dont think they enjoyed the old diesel firing up before 6am 20 ft from their bedroom window. If I get a deuce this summer they might just move. :grin:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been saluted by what looked like Vietnam Vets and waved to by lots of people.

Don't think I've ever been given the finger, well except for when I parked my Deuce on a Prius but he was justified.

(Kidding)

DeucesWild11

Yeah don't get a Deuce if you don't want attention! I get someone asking me something just about every time I go out. I have the most fun parking in the contractors parking at Home Depot.. Then they ask about the mileage and I tell them "better than yours" 13 MPG but I only pay for half due to using half WMO.. I always love their reaction.

Some guy on here had a car full of college chicks flash him, I am still waiting for that one..:grin:

Seth_O

I've always gotten lots of waves, smiles and thumbs up. Lately every time I go out I've had 1-2 folks video'ing the truck on their phones. I especially like to see the looks on the kids faces when I drive by them at an intersection.

goatijoe

:driver:Yea I have gotten a few smiles and waves from mine and then no so nice ones. The police around here love it and never said anything bad about it even cover for me when they get complaints from its noise. and then you have all the old vets that just have a memory of driving them back in the day. Theres allways going to be the ones that are going to try to ruin your fun like the ones that get the smoke and lack of speed that get stuck behind you when they do get a chance to pass. There will be the ones that will never be happy with anything. Don't worry about it just have fun and enjoy the ride. :driver:

03silverado

I to have gotten a lot of waves thumbs up and even a salute from a veteran I thought it was especially cool though when a Vietnam vet stopped by while I was working on my M813A1 and asked if he could look at it of course I said why yes and come to find out he was a mechanic in Vietnam for the deuces and 5 tons he was telling me all sorts of need stuff I felt as if I had made his day because his eyes lit up like a child's as he walked around the truck looking at this and that and explaining what he did in the army made my day too.

Jesse6325

Oh yeah,, I worked with a Vietnam vet (He retired two weeks ago) And when he found out that I had bought a Deuce he told me some stories,,, I still remember his eyes lighting up when he saw it in the lot at work.
He and I are going out to dinner tomorrow evening before he takes off, Seriously thinking of taking the Deuce. Only problem is we're expecting some nasty weather and I havent got the top on it yet....

SMOKEWAGON66

I drove mine in to work today (47.2 miles one way) and out on the freeway, I passed NO ONE an out of all the trucks that passed me, 4 or 5 of them talked to me on the radio and asked where I got " that grungy old army truck" lol...of course I obliged and told them about GL so they could shop for one too lol...I love the looks, the stares, the craned necks, the cellphone videographers and the waves/salutes/thumbs up....its fun to stand out some.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When a homeless guy hears you comming. Stops and sets down his backpack. Snaps to attention and renders a perfect salute to your noisy smokey ol' Deuce..... With a tear in your eye... Ya just gotta stop and ask if he wants to go for a ride.

The VET I speak of served our country well. To some, he's now a disfunctional outcast of our society. To me - he's a friend, a fellow VET, a WOUNDED WARRIOR deserving of my respect, compassion and yes... a ride to whereever he needs to go when I see him walking - no matter what I'm driving at the time (but he sure prefers the Deuce).
-------------------------------

Get use to the thumbs-ups, waves, salutes, smiles and all. Be glad your neighbor(s) appreciate your toys.

Vaya con Dios!

When a homeless guy hears you comming. Stops and sets down his backpack. Snaps to attention and renders a perfect salute to your noisy smokey ol' Deuce..... With a tear in your eye... Ya just gotta stop and ask if he wants to go for a ride.

The VET I speak of served our country well. To some, he's now a disfunctional outcast of our society. To me - he's a friend, a fellow VET, a WOUNDED WARRIOR deserving of my respect, compassion and yes... a ride to whereever he needs to go when I see him walking - no matter what I'm driving at the time (but he sure prefers the Deuce).
-------------------------------

Get use to the thumbs-ups, waves, salutes, smiles and all. Be glad your neighbor(s) appreciate your toys.

Vaya con Dios!
It's funny you should mention that particular scenario. When I recovered my deuce, on the trip home we stopped in my old neighborhood to see some friends, take on fuel, and make some adjustments to the truck. As I got off the 405 freeway in Torrance at Redondo Beach Bl. there was a homeless vet holding a sign I couldn't read because the light was green for me and as soon as he saw me coming, he dropped his sign, snappet to a salute and gave me a hearty OOH RA!. While turning off the ramp onto the Bl., I managed to toot the horn a couple times in recognition. I didn't get to talk to him, but who knows what the future holds.
:beer:

Stalwart

I get plenty of smiles and waves but that is NOTHING to what my wife gets when she drives the HEMTT. A small blond woman driving that truck gets nothing but ASTONISHMENT :shock:

TheWeatherMan

I live by a lot of, well "upper class" people. Some of them give me that look of utter disgust when I drive by, yet their kids in the back seat of their cars smile and waive. Most people smile and wave, the wrangler drivers drool as I go by. I have even had a few vets salute me as I drive by.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks