• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GP auctions cancelled after winning

Guruman

Not so new member
For my admittedly small sample size I've had a third of my auctions cancelled after I won. All which I would consider a screaming good deal. One was actually canceled after I paid for it. And one that was simply relisted the next day. When I inquired about it, GP just suggested I bid on the re-listed item. Why should I have to re-bid on an auction I already one once?

Seems pretty suspicious to me. It's almost like if it didn't auction for a high enough price, they just cancel it. Anyone else seeing this or is it just a fluke?

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless they listed them as a reserve auction... If you can show the item was canceled and relisted, the attorney general for the state the auction occurred in might want to know.

Most states license auctions, and that type of stuff is frowned upon. No reserve, sells for a low price so they just cancel and relist it. Happens, but it's wrong and possibly illegal.

Guruman

Not so new member
Here's a short good read for you (post 1 and 25). They can basically do anything behind the scenes without notice or explanation.

Yeah, I'm aware that the terms and conditions SAY they can do whatever.... but that does not change any relevant laws.

The botton line is that I'm not willing to spend much time going after them, so they are going to get away with it. I was mostly wondering how widespread the issue is?

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I'm aware that the terms and conditions SAY they can do whatever.... but that does not change any relevant laws.

The botton line is that I'm not willing to spend much time going after them, so they are going to get away with it. I was mostly wondering how widespread the issue is?
Ya, it likely isn't worth your time -- which is why they do it. However, this is the kind of thing that IS worth the time for the attorney general for the state in which the auction happened. I can promise that Richie Bros doesn't want to lose their auction license in that state. A few reports of this, and the states do take actions (and it won't cost you any time other then contacting the right office, presenting your side and then letting them do their thing.. worst case, they don't do anything.)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That CUCV being sold was being sold by a seller using govplanet. Basically this happens alot and the sellers don't like the price so they can pull it.

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a scam when people bid on things and win and then don't pay for it but then they call and offer it to another bidder within hours of the auction close
If they win and don’t pay, doesn’t that get them banned from GP?

How do they know who else is bidding to give them a call?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

They can see who's bidding and who has it on their watch list.

And it bars you till you pay their default fees sometimes $20 sometimes $500 depends on the item amount.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Prior to RB acquiring govplanet I bought a 989a1 in which they were selling a lot of them every week. Paid for it. Went to pick it up and it wasn't the trailer I had paid for. It was a big lot of trailers and it was first come first serve on them.

They wouldn't give a refund. Said the auction was accurate etc. They had used a single trailer for all the trailers auction photos. So since I did not get the trailer I wanted I disputed it with my Amex. Got my $ back. That account still has a $450 default fee on it that I will never pay em because it was BS.

Rb still wants the money even though they didn't own govplanet then.

Gov liquidation was really bad about doing this first come first serve. Lots of GL auctions were just about buying what you saw in the bed or cab of the truck etc cause that was what you wanted not just the truck. You might show up and all the crap had been removed etc

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can show the item was canceled and relisted, the attorney general for the state the auction occurred in might want to know.
Most states license auctions, and that type of stuff is frowned upon. No reserve, sells for a low price so they just cancel and relist it. Happens, but it's wrong and possibly illegal.
had the similar thing happen on a municipal auction website , I was winning bidder on a 14ft snowplow wing .. Listed as no reserve and no mention of winning bid approval .. (sometimes items need to have Board approval of a bid before releasing the item to a buyer) .. Anyway, my winning bid was cancelled. But in this case they did not relist the item, the superintendent claimed the Board had received a private offer of a higher amount... Although I was invited to make my own private offer after the fact, I did not appreciate how this affair was handled thus I called their bluff and walked away .. I drove past there a few months later and the wing was still sitting in the same spot where I had inspected it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks