• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GPM's needed for M1083 15,000lb winch???

coachgeo

M1083?? 15,000lb winch ...

how many GPM ya'll think it will need to run well? If can't find electric motor to replace hydraulic motor... will have to go to electric hydraulic.

want electric so can use it if truck is on its side. It is either that or find a way to make my apu swing back to an angle it is happy with before running it. Thus, allowing for putting the pump on the apu. Not easy since APU will sit in an enclosed box on side storage of Ambo/Camper box.

PS...... please do not offer solutions that require a different winch at this time. Price point may take me in that direction and will explore that if it does... but so far not the case

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
In the troubleshooting tm it should have the required flow rates for the winch. Under winch not working there should be a hyd pressure test and it will give pass and fail specs.

ramdough

M1083?? 15,000lb winch ...

how many GPM ya'll think it will need to run well? If can't find electric motor to replace hydraulic motor... will have to go to electric hydraulic.

want electric so can use it if truck is on its side. It is either that or find a way to make my apu swing back to an angle it is happy with before running it. Thus, allowing for putting the pump on the apu. Not easy since APU will sit in an enclosed box on side storage of Ambo/Camper box.

PS...... please do not offer solutions that require a different winch at this time. Price point may take me in that direction and will explore that if it does... but so far not the case
I am just clarifying...... you want a way to run your stock winch in the situation where your truck with habitation box is on its side?

Is your intent to use the winch to pull your own truck from its side back onto its wheels?

If so, how do you plan to route your cable to pull yourself over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

I am just clarifying...... you want a way to run your stock winch in the situation where your truck with habitation box is on its side?

Is your intent to use the winch to pull your own truck from its side back onto its wheels?

If so, how do you plan to route your cable to pull yourself over?

lot of snatch blocks and straps... and hopefully it is not Fully on its side...... and even more hopefully never in situation to have to deal with either of the two....... but back when boy scouts had balls (pardon the pun) there was a good lesson of "be prepared" taught. Hopefully.... my having that option means I'll never need it... aka... if you don't have what you need..... Murphy will make you need it...... and if you have it.... you never need it.

ramdough

lot of snatch blocks and straps... and hopefully it is not Fully on its side...... and even more hopefully never in situation to have to deal with either of the two....... but back when boy scouts had balls (pardon the pun) there was a good lesson of "be prepared" taught. Hopefully.... my having that option means I'll never need it... aka... if you don't have what you need..... Murphy will make you need it...... and if you have it.... you never need it.
Aside form now needing an electric pump...... is your reservoir pickup going to start sucking air?

Just brainstorming.....

But, instead of redesigning the hydraulic winch, why not leave it stock, and then make a moveable electric winch that you could plug into the side that is up to pull you over.

I would guess that if you have flopped, you are just as likely to be hard on your side as partially on your side (as you mention above). Now you are planning for a possible but rare occurrence that you should have not gotten into..... and made your primary winch, which you will use every time you get bogged (your primary stuck situation) less useful.

In my opinion, you are trading your capability to rescue yourself in the common situation, for a might need someday rare situation where you are in really big trouble and another method/winch/another truck would be more helpful. I am not saying not to think about that problem, but I would not sacrifice a working pure hydraulic setup for some rare issue. Also, even if I could self recover, I would need a solid anchor point.

If you read the recovery TM, you also would notice that they recommend something to stop your truck from flopping the opposite way once you get it back up. In that case you either need a wrecker with a Crain and winches or a second anchor in a convenient location. I have resigned myself to assume that if I ever flop, I will need help. Lots of it.

Just my thoughts. Hope that helps your brainstorming.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Gpm is flow which is speed not pulling power. A 9gpm pump hooked to a 7hp yanmar L70 will run a 20k winch from a 5 ton at around 4 to 5fpm.

An electric pump is not going to have near big enough suction lines to feed it.

Would be more practical to mount a belt driven pump on the apu with a larger pulley on the motor to run it to increase pump output. Just run your hydraulic lines from the pump to a quick connector somewhere for winch or other hydraulic attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks