• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grandpa's M37

greeno

Hi All;

New to the site, thought I'd introduce my M37. My long-term goal with this truck is to make it parade-ready, so I'll update this thread as I can.

Grandpa bought an M37 back in the 60's for work around his hobby farm. He also used to drive it into town just for kicks. He passed in 86, but my dad would use it off and on around the farm up until he passed in 99. It just sat in the barn for the last 15 years (mom thinks it hasn't run in 20 years). I hadn't had the chance to run it due to being in school/starting a family/career...all BS excuses I know!

Anyways, this Memorial Day Weekend I finally decided this would be the weekend to get it running. Two days were spent hooking up a fuel can, hooking up batteries, looking for the key ( hot wired it), and checking fluids. No luck, couldn't get it to fire.

Next weekend, checked compression (0psi on 3 and 5). Pulled the manifold and head and yes, the valves were stuck. Spent the remainder of the weekend putting it back together.

Third weekend: hooked up the fuel line with a cheap in-line filter, changed plugs, and checked compression (60psi on all, didn't leak down). After a lot of ether and praying - got it to fire and run! Drove it once around the yard before it stalled (fuel filter plugged up, go figure :)

It still needs a lot of love, starting with getting the brakes in working order. I look forward to the mission and will post updates when I can.

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a really great truck! It looks to be very complete and stock. I didn't see much rust or damage to the body which is something to very grateful for. It should make for a pleasant restoration project.

I'm sure this site and G741.com would be happy to help you with any problems you have.

Hope to hear about your future progress and post more pictures. We love pictures! [thumbzup]

Storm 51

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow still has the bead clips on the tires. Those were installed only on very early production, and were removed when tires were replaced. I bet your tires are 1951 dated.

greeno

Update: Changed the fuel pump, carb inlet needle, points, condenser and cap this weekend. Boy, she ran like a dream for 2 miles! Started right up.

On my way back to the garage, it died. I couldn't figure it out in the woods, but I have some ideas (the points set didn't fit 100% like the original, and the coil wires are in tough shape...see my 'insulation' job). Going to go right to electronic ignition...I'm too young to deal with points!

Attachments

SteveKuhn

"...Going to go right to electronic ignition...I'm too young to deal with points!..." Greeno

Aw, c'mon. A little challenge builds character. What would Grandpa say? Whip those points and the rest of the ignition into shape and make it 5 miles next time.

Keep us in the loop.

Steve

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there's any more gunk in the fuel tank, you can replace it with one for an S-10. You'll need to make longer holding straps, and lose a few gallons of capacity, but it works.

1943ht

Welcome

Great to see that your preserving a third generation vehicle, outstanding!

Welcome to the site, plenty of advise and help available here ... and as many have stated WE LOVE PICS!!!! So keep em coming.

Looks like the 4th generation is on board with the restoration too :-D

Couple Pics of my restoration project in process

Attachments

greeno

I got the truck started again on Sunday. In my lazyness to fiddle around with points and such, I only put the two top screws on the distributor cover. My guess is that the little spring in the distributor cap wasn't making contact. Live and learn!

RE: Electronic Ignition. Grandpa would say "There is something better out there? Why haven't you got that in the truck yet? Get movin'!"

greeno

It's been almost a year since I posted my 'progress'. It's time to get serious about fixing this truck up...but the ol' pocketbook police have advised against it. I put in the Pertronix unit last weekend and she runs strong until my fuel filter plugs.

Luckily, cleaning a gas tank is nearly free!

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A positive point to remember about these trucks is that oftentimes they are more labor intensive than money / parts intensive.

Not always, but more often than not.

Storm 51

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks