• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Graveyard CUCV's brought back

ABN173

I am still deployed to Afghanistan (almost done though). Anyway last night something caught my eye so I went back today and talked to a worker in the area and asked if I could take a few pics. The story is one of the guys that is no longer here went and pulled these(2) from the "graveyard" and brought them back into service! I might just have enough time left to go find said graveyard too.....hmmm

Anyway enjoy the pics,
Dale

*edit: these are parked right in front of an aid station, when asked what I was taking pictures of and why I explained my situation. The passing doc shook his head and said "sadly there is no cure for your affliction":p

*edit2: those bucket seats are pristine:drool:

Attachments

Last edited:

jeeplvr247

The second one looks really good, I like the over-sized tires on both. I can't believe those where in a grave yard. Looks like I have to go car shopping in Afghanistan.

blackhueys

yep the government throws alot of good stuff away in the drmo dumps over there and in iraq where I was. My last tour I got a perfectly good toyota landcruiser that was last registered to the gulf states oil company out of Kuwait (wonder how it got to be up in baghdad area?) but any how all I had to do was 4 tires and refill all fluids threw a battery in her and fired first time. Ran so good I had to give it up to the CO of my unit (even though everybody said that I could never get it to run or drive again when I towed it back to my area to work on it.

ABN173

The second one looks really good, I like the over-sized tires on both. I can't believe those where in a grave yard. Looks like I have to go car shopping in Afghanistan.
I'm guessing the fellow who recovered them added all the HMMWV tires. Those can be found anywhere out here, while the standard CUCV tires well not so much. Looks like a no lift and made fender trim on the quarter panels

-Dale

ABN173

How did they get the Hmmwv rim to fit on the front? Spacer?
Where did he get wheel spacers??? Lol
That is a mystery. HMMWV tires/wheels will fit on a M1008, 1028, 1031. Not sure about the spacer. I'm guessing he either ordered them and had them sent over by mail or he had something fabricated here. While the later is not likely it may be possible since this is a larger base we are passing through.

-Dale

Last edited:

rickf

Why are you guys all talking about spacers? I am looking at the amount of hub sticking out of the wheel and it is the same as a standard wheel so no spacers there. Why do you need the spacers anyway?

Rick

combat32

Just goes to show you Joe's can put anything together when they get tired of walkin.They actually look pretty good and useful.When I was in Iraq waaaaay back in 91 after the war we put together about 5 runnin UAZ jeeps out of a Iraqi bonepile.I drove mine all over northern Kuwait for a couple of months, they were pretty handy.I set mine on fire before I left, cried a little bit after that;-)

ryan77

Why are you guys all talking about spacers? I am looking at the amount of hub sticking out of the wheel and it is the same as a standard wheel so no spacers there. Why do you need the spacers anyway?

Rick
With out spacers the wheels hit the front Tie rods!

ABN173

Updates

How did they get the Hmmwv rim to fit on the front? Spacer?
Me too, can anyone identify them? I want me some [thumbzup]

ABN 173 thanks for your service, hope you return safely to your family...
I like all the LED work lights on them
OK Fella's

I walked by again today and this time a spoke to a young SPC(E-4) turns out he is the guy who pulled them and brought em back to life!

Also I may have recruited a new member! I gave him the website link and he is a mechanic based out of FT Hood.

He shed a lot of new light on the matter. He says the bucket seats came out of a 5ton truck. The emergency lights are stock item for MRAP's. He built the bed on one since the pick-up bed on it was rusted and mangled. He said he showed his wife the pics of his build and she said "I guess you want one now".

He had to fab a new battery box on one as well as replaced an engine with an older 6.5 HMMWV engine. Kid has done a lot of work. He is about ready to leave here too, I could tell he really wants to take the one with the lights back with him, but says the incoming unit will need them too. I suspect and hope he joins the site and chimes in here with his own personal account of the build rather than my "Cliff Notes" version!

Also, he did have the spacers made out here at a shop on base Anyway I told him about my truck and he pulled out a small clear lens LED light bar for my truck! They are cheap made in china sets but should be a nice addition. I guess he bought a bunch of them from local market or something........... also had about 6 extra slave cable sets he pulled from the grave yard or that unit before him left here :whistle:

Anyway I'll post more pics later after I re-size them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks