• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Greasing question concerning the 2 allen grease plugs in the steering axles

CPDOG

ok fellas:):):)

I am just throwing this out and welcoming any and all inputs.

on my a2 steering axels there are 2 allen plugs on the ball of the axel fwd/aft positions and on each side. the greasing manual vaguely suggest the use of low pressure grease gun for this greasing point...I got that.

however it doesn't give an amount.
now that said I have these types of greasing ports on other equipment and you grease until it comes out the side you are not applying grease to.

so with this said, anyone have an idea of the amount or is it as I suspect that you grease until it comes out the other side?:shrugs::shrugs:

thanks again fellas...………...

sandcobra164

I'm trying to picture the allen plugs you're talking about. If they are there to get grease into the knuckle, excess grease gets pumped into there each time you grease the upper and lower kingpin bushings.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My thoughts is when the first axles came out they were ball bearing CV type not cross needle bearings. They called for grease to be injected in there. I have not seen a newer 5 ton with ball type axle ( 70's and up). I do not believe you could ever get grease into a cross type ujoint. When I do service my newer axles I clean out the knuckle of all grease. That way if I do ever take the truck fording I can take out one of the lower king pin bushing retainers bolts and drain out any water or check for water.

Last edited:

CPDOG

FLORIDIANSON:

sorry for late reply, either the site was down or my server was....

thank you for the input, and I agree with you concerning the type of u-joints too, unless you had an access big enough to see the zerk on the u-joint and attach the gun to it you would never get to it unless you dis-assemble it to grease it.,

thank you again!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea the cross u joint type don't have a grease zerk. When there was the old ball type of CV joint they would use a long needle type grease injector and try and get the grease up onto the CV joint. If the mechanic knew the feel of the needle / joint he would feel when it hits the CV and try to inject some grease around it.

Shirehorse

Pull the plugs and grease until it comes out. If you don't pull them, you have a chance to blow the boot out.

This was in a PM monthly somewhere.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wonder if who ever designer of the axle was when it first had the ball type thought by taking out the Allen plugs and installing zerk fittings then pumping them full. Then replace the Allen plug to grease the ball type axle. Myself the ones I have done with a cross type u joints I clean out the knuckle of all grease with a paper towel and leave them empty but coated with a thin film of grease. Maybe I am wrong but I like to be able to check for water or drain it out if my boots leak if I ford. Would seem very hard to get grease into a ball type axle just by way of the king pin grease fittings. I don't believe there is any way the knuckle filled with grease will get grease into the needle cross type u joint. Every axle I have done that was full of grease there was a cavity where the spinning axle joint carved out a hole and there was very little grease on the joint.

Last edited:

CPDOG

all

thank you for all of the input. I have completed greasing of them and got grease coming out. but I do like your techniques for checking for water after fording too.
the greasing from one plug to another I use while I was working on submarines, filling the cavities with grease prevented water from going into the cavities.

again thank all of you for the input as it is most appreciated and thank you for sharing your knowledge with others!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks