• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gsrvsdv

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do the multifuel swap, follow my wrecker repower thread. I think it points out most of the stuff you need to change to get it going.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do this and report back. I'm very interested to see how it goes and what you spend. 2 grand in the tranny and I think you would be hard pressed to do a stock rebuild on a 6.2 for less than a grand. Whats a turbo kit running these days, around $700? In the end you still have a light duty engine in a truck that weights 13,000#. Jim Bigley from the 6.2/6.5 diesel page did a pretty healthy hop up on a 6.2 and had it running with the Cummins but he spent a ton of cash. He had quite a bit in just the Pennensular 18 to 1 pistons required to raise the boost. Then you have the intercooler. I dunno! Guessing its not a winch truck as you will be eliminating the PTO. Would you run the HMMWV 28V injection pump or switch the truck to 12V? Don't forget your compressor brackets, might find some in a junk yard. I have a 6.5 TD in my pickup and it works just keeping the 6500# pickup going. It can be done and the 6.2 can be made to perform. The 700 can be severly built and should be capable of handling the HP and torque of the stoutest 6.2. I'd love to see a tranny dyno sheet of any juice tranny holding 5000 hp. That is hp beyond any fuels but nitro unless your talking huge diesels.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I had a 6.2 that I added an ATS turbo kit and it was still felt underpowered with 12-15 psi of boost, ended up melting pistons in it (not me but my buddy did). I really think you will be disappointed with the end result after spending buttloads of cash and time when you could just drop a multi in it and call it a day. MILTRUCKS on Ebay has the whole frront end (frame ,springs and all motor mounts) of a duece up for auction right now for pretty cheap. He is just advertising it for the springs and hangers. Sounds like you have your mind made up on the 6.2. I say sell it and roll the money over into a better motor.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you don't think I'm trying to sell the 700R4 short. I love that transmission and it can be built right strong. They are IDEAL for CUCVs especially the trucks with the 4.56 cogs. I love the 6.2 engines and I'll get scorned for this but would love to put one in an M880. Go ahead Clinto and Lanty, let me have it for that one. I'd still think that would be a great truck to have. I'm just not convinced that its up to the job of moving the deuce without sinking a shopvan full of Franklins in it.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Dude, I am not knocking the 6.2, but geez, do a Cummins conversion!!! It's a Mopar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can get me a Cummins for what I can get a 6.2 for, I'd do it. Would love to have the 4BT but they're not very cheap.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If you can get me a Cummins for what I can get a 6.2 for, I'd do it. Would love to have the 4BT but they're not very cheap.
Hey, you get what you pay for :D

I have a few friends who have done the early 12 valve swap in the mid-Eighties Dodges and it rules!!!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
JDToumanian said:
A 4-71 Detroit would be a fun swap.
Now yer talkin! Although I think a 71 series would be too tall, crank center-line down to front axle. NAPCO makes a conversion kit to put a Detroit Diesel 4-53N in a deuce, and it requires slightly limiting suspension travel to not wipe out the oil pan... a 4-71N would have the same issue but worse.

http://napcointl.com/en/home/product_divisions/repower_retrofit.html

.---,
2cents You get what you pay for... :lol:

Jon
A phone call to NAPCO to learn of their pricing scheme quickly dissuaded me from even considering it.

JDToumanian

A phone call to NAPCO to learn of their pricing scheme quickly dissuaded me from even considering it.
Wow, how much?! Inquiring minds want to know... I had been meaning to find out from them. I have their M35 repower catalog which is nice and descriptive with lots of pictures but no prices.

I had predicted at least $15-$20k, but I would assume a 4-53N crate motor is included, which itself represents at least $8-$10k. I had wanted to ask them how much for everything except the engine, as I would build my own up from a core that I could get fairly cheaply.

Also, their catalog shows that the "complete kit" includes everything to completely refurbish a junker M35 to their specifications. Gasket, bearing and seal sets for axles, transmission and transfer, new brakes, exhaust, 12v conversion / wiring and lights... I only want the engine installation specific kits. That may get the price out of fantasy land. The engine kit itself is pretty complete, and includes the fan to flywheel engine (the flywheel is custom made by NAPCO), new radiator, all hoses, belts and accessories, mounts and brackets, all fasteners, firewall doghouse and new cab floor tunnel covers, fuel lines, new fuel tank, and the suspension stop kit.

If my multifuel ever craps out that is the conversion I will be wanting to do. I bought my deuce not running... A friend of mine and fellow DD 2-stroke nut hoped the engine would turn out to be junk so I would do the conversion, but I can't justify pulling out a perfectly good engine just to put in a different one.

Regards,
Jon

Elwenil

Yeah Kenny, the 6.2 in a Dodge is a major no no. Any self respecting Mopar would spit that boat anchor out in a hurry, lol! As for the 700R4, I'm sure it can be built to handle a lot of HP, but the fact remains that it is an automatic and to handle that kind of power it has to slip to keep from coming apart. What I am getting at is that if you have X amount of torque going through the tranny trying to move the weight of a Deuce, multiplied by the gearing. you are asking for trouble. Any shock loading whatsoever and you are going to be looking for a new tailshaft and housing. Unless you are looking at going for a full on aftermarket case and internals in which case you are looking at more than $8k for a drag racing style tranny alone. Also, the NP208 was not used in very many 3/4 ton trucks because it will split the case when it is overloaded. All Dodge 4 speed 3/4 tons got the NP205 and all 1 tons got the 205. I always replace the 208 with a 205 whenever possible. I have broken 3 in an '84 Ramcharger with a mild 360, 727 and 3.23 gears with 32" tires. They just don't like shock loading and with the weight of a Deuce, I don't see how you aren't going to overload it pulling the first hill from a stop. Just my .02 & experience...

Elwenil

I think perhaps you are confused as to which case the NP208 is. It is a light duty, aluminum, chain driven, part time case that was replaced by the NP241. It was used in half ton and light duty 3/4 tons only. I have never seen a 1 ton GM, Ford or otherwise with a NP203.

85-m1028

the cucv pickups used the np208 but it has the big 32spline input shaft? the hmmwv's used a np218, very similar to the 208 just a full time t-case....

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Granted, chief amongst the army's priorities is having a fleet of vehicles suitable for operation globally - not specific terrain types. Second, is producing a vehicle that is a matched system, with the engine as the weak link - they don't want a truck that can pop axles and driveshafts - their fleet is operated by young guys in stessful situations - and they would rather have a mired vehicle than an broken axle.

The recent trend of the military adopting and adapting commercial vehicles is NOT because they are the best for the military's needs. It is a result of economics, and can be traced back to the M715/M37 debate - the field forces WANTED more M37's - but 5 M715s (as I recall) could be had for the price of three of the Dodges - and the dollars weren't in the budget for enough M37s to go around. This same situation has prevailed since.

All this being said - the military still has far more money to spend on truck engineering upgrades and improvements than any (or all) of us. When the M35A2 fleet was given extended service life - creating the M35A3 - they did not select the 6.2 engine as the new powerplant, nor the transmissions or transfer cases mentioned above - manyalready in the army supply channels. There is likely a reason for this.

This being said its your truck and your money - if you wanna power it by a Rolls-Royce Merlin turning a contra-rotating Hamilton-Standard prop with no transfer case or tranny at all that is your business - and your money. However, if I recall correctly, this thread began by asking what others think. Some seem to like your idea, others don't - but since you asked for peoples opinions - you are not in a good position to criticize those that respond - even those whose opinions don't match your own.

It seems that you have decided that this is a worthwhile project - even before asking - so by all means proceed, enjoy the conversion, and let us all know how it works out.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks