• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Haflinger with Anti-Tank Bantam Missiles

DSD277

Mog1218, Does your Haffy have the intergrated folding windshield frame and rollbar? That is one of the neat mods for those units.
Dave

mog1218

Yes, Dave my truck does have that mod. I figured it was for transport or something until I was at NWMF a couple years ago and found out different. I have used it in the woods to slip under large fallen trees! The only other one I have seen is the one in the earlier attached photos. Do you known if this mod was common?

Scott G

DSD277

Scott.
I've only seen it in pics of Haffies with the missile systems, and really don't know more than that about them . They were Swiss Hafs, so I am not sure if it's factory or a Swiss mod. Does your truck have fuses, or circuit breakers?

Years ago, I did get several pics of the rollbar system from one that was in Idaho.... I don't know if it is still there, or was sold. I would really like to have one for my Haf, as I am really into the " inventive" systems of doing a job......so much more than a simple fold windshield and fire missiles:-D.
I've had several Pinzes and Haffies over the years, and was impressed with the designs from the first. The Supacats are another that there is so much more to than what meets the eye.

Cheers
Dave

chambleau

Hello,
I was a former bantam swiss soldier. Bantam was a wire guided antitank rocket. Here is a pic from 1985 my first year in the military. You can see the Haf with rockets and the cable roll leading to the remote control. We had to pilot the rocket manually with a joystick. Range was from 600 meters to 200 meters (flying time from 20seconds!). In the Haflinger were to soldiers (driver and bantam shooter). A team was composed of two Haflinger with rockets and an ammunition-supply Haflinger. A platoon was composed of 3 teams. A company of three platoons. At that time, teams were indeoendant and dispatched in others units to slow the tank advance. shooting positions were prepared and the hafs normally hidden in foxholes as the shooter.

Will send you more pics soon.

louis

Attachments

chambleau

bantam

At left Adjudant Kammerland, the only instructor who was able to teach how to pilot the rocket. He was fifthy five at that time and he retired when the swiss army withdrew that old weapon system in 1990. Bantam was introduced in 1965... 35 years of good service... and thousands of rockets fired.

Attachments

chambleau

bantam

some more pics...
bantam could be fired from the ground by a single man. The rocket was carried in the back.
The second image features the supply haflinger and the "RITA" a wagooner jeep in which a printer would show the signals given to the rocket by the shooter during the training.
the third image shows the BAT jeeps (antitank jeeps). The jeepers were in the same cantonment.

Attachments

spicergear

Would LOVE to have a little mini-mog like that like the one posted in the classifieds!!! If I were in the market for one of the Kubota side by side utility machines I would seriously consider a Haflinger!

mog1218

Hello,
I was a former bantam swiss soldier. Bantam was a wire guided antitank rocket. Here is a pic from 1985 my first year in the military. You can see the Haf with rockets and the cable roll leading to the remote control. We had to pilot the rocket manually with a joystick. Range was from 600 meters to 200 meters (flying time from 20seconds!). In the Haflinger were to soldiers (driver and bantam shooter). A team was composed of two Haflinger with rockets and an ammunition-supply Haflinger. A platoon was composed of 3 teams. A company of three platoons. At that time, teams were indeoendant and dispatched in others units to slow the tank advance. shooting positions were prepared and the hafs normally hidden in foxholes as the shooter.

Will send you more pics soon.

louis
Louis
I cannot thank you enough for sharing your first hand information and photos. It's fabulous to see photos of the trucks and to read first hand stories of their service. I had no idea there was only 18 haflinger's with rockets and 9 ammunition-supply haflingers.

Scott G

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks