• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Halftrack axle nut sockets..............

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So they WWII halftrack takes two different axle nuts, serviced by one 2-sized socket.

The front one, you can't use a modern civvy one because the axle stub sticks out too far. The socket bottoms out before you get onto the nut.

Is there a way around this? Do one of you have an original socket I can buy/borrow/rent?

And no, I'm not gonna' use a chisel.

It's FSN 41W 2612-25

20180121_185904[1].jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Why not make one? Bore out an old socket an weld it to another. I've done this multiple times and while somewhat ugly, works just fine.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What size is it and how deep does it need to be?
3 1/4" (I think, gotta' check again and I'm not at home) and probably 2" deeper than a standard axle nut socket

8683jb

20180121_203414.jpgThe socket is 8-sided, 3-1/4" on one end, 3-7/8" on the other. I couldn't find an original or one deep enough either so I just bent up a strap, welded a nut to it and bolted it through the sides of the socket. I drilled the socket at both ends. If you do this you’ll need a carbide drill - these sockets are hard as heck. I just used a masonry bit in the drill press and it went right through. I used a 1/2" bit for 3/8" bolts so they'd be quick & easy to remove and replace to move the strap from one end to the other.
If you strike out on finding or making one, I may have mine back together in the next week or so, and if I do I can send you this tool to borrow.
Jon

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks