• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hand-pumped M101 hydro ram dump

Ratch

I'm thinking about converting an M101 to hydraulic ram dump instead of the not-quite-designed built in dump method. I'm going to run over to Harbor Freight today and see what I can piece together with a simple hand-pump 24" hydraulic ram to lift the frame from the drawbar.
Such as this:
8 Ton Super Heavy Duty Long Ram Hydraulic Flat Bottom Jack

From the searches i've done, it looks like the hydro-dump conversion has only been done with M105's and fairly elaborate power setup's.
My goal's are:
-stay half-ton tow vehicle
-be self-contained (no power needed)
-dump while connected to TV or not
-more precise control of dump angle
-stability while tilted
-dump regardless of load position in bed
This would let me pull the trailer while tilted, and have it tilt all the way to the ground if I want to winch a motorcycle/quad/etc up without ramps.

I was thinking I'd add a crossmember at the drawbar to support the bottom of the jack, and a U-bracket bolted to the front of the box frame for the top of the rod. It would be the same as the current dump method, but with a ram instead of vehicle power.

Any thoughts for/against this approach?

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you plan on dumping unhooked you better plan on legs in the rear , when that load shifts to the rear the tongue will be straight up in the air without them.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Getting the bed to dump is one thing, getting it to stay in place while moving is another. Say you have it tilted up and pull forward. When the dirt or rock shifts to the rear of the trailer, what will keep it from tilting up more?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also a 24" ram would need be mount 2/3's of the way to the back to lift the box to angle that would dump .Semi dump trailers that use a front mount cylinder, use a multi stage that is nearly equal to the length of the trailer to raise it to a angle it will actually dump the load .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks