• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard top Vs. soft top

goatijoe

I have a hard top on the truck now but I wanna know is there any difference in the tops as far as sound, heat and water tightness. It quieter with the top off or even if i have the windshields open with the windows down. The top seams like its hotter inside than out with every thing open sitting still. is there any upside to having a soft top besides easier to take off in nice weather or just deal with the heavy top and all the bolts to them. If i keep the hard top any suggestions on making life easier to take it on and off by your self with no help? The dog days of summer have already made it to South Carolina. Does any one have any quick release pins for all the all the bolts in the top?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I like the soft top. I does seem quieter to me than a hardtop. They aren't much easier to remove than the hardtop though but they are a lot lighter.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At one time I had 3 trucks,all D turbo's, each with a different top.

1. Std 3 color vinyl
2. Thick insulated 3 color vinyl
3. Hard top - tan

The hard top is more water tight than the softies.
I'd have to say the tan hard top was the coolest, followed by the insulated soft top.
As far as sound goes, again the hard top being the quietest, followed by the insulated soft.

When I pull a hard top, I use an air ratchet and get under it and move back into the bed, not that bad. The insulated soft top is a bit of work yet.

I have the stacks pointing straight out the side which helps reduce in cab noise, having the passenger side window up ( at speed ) helps alot. Geta 24v fan for the cab.

I always wanted a canvas top , not vinyl.

goatijoe

... I never really noticed much of a difference in that department myself...
Come to the south in the summer when its 90+ and humidity high and you will hate the oven affect. I am not trying to be mean about it or anything. I trying to figure out if i want to buy a soft top for summer and put the hard top back on for the winter. I don't want to be mensurable driving it in the heat if this is any sign of how hots it going to get this summer. It was 83 and its only about 65 this time of year.

rattlecan6104

I understand what you are getting at, I just have personally not seen much of a difference between a hard top and soft top as far as cab temperatures go... have you considered an insulated soft top? That should keep you warmer in winter, and still just as easy to remove as a soft top for summer.

x-ray

I have new tan soft top, hard top and insulated heavy green - I don't notice enough difference to prefer one over the others from a noise point of view. With windows open they are all excessively loud. The Hard top is a C turbo = Fun, but loud after a while. I'm going to be muffling with Dynaflow mufflers as soon as I get spring chores caught up and the weather cooperates.

From a wind penetration and cold air leaking in perspective, the hard top has a big advantage.
I wouldn't pass up a truck because it has a soft top.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I prefer the hard tops. Much quieter to me. Living in south east texas it is both hot and humid. Usally well above 100 deg in august. I learned a trick from kenny here on steel soldiers. Roll the windows in the doors up. Then open the windshields. This will pressureize "did i spell that right?" the cab and force the hotter air from the engine and under the cab back out of the cab. Sounds crazy but it does work. I could tell a difference at speed. Also keeping the passenger side window up cuts down on the noise. But then again i installed a muffler also.

goatijoe

I will try that next time i drive it. I don't know about yall but its to warm already I don't want to see the dog days in august if this is any sign of whats to come.

Maverick1701

I owned both on my Deuce.
I liked the hard top because I could mount stuff to the top (both inside and outside)
I also feel the hard top has more headroom. My head would poke into the soft top...with the hard top I had plenty of room.

I chose HT vs ST. I will also 2nd what Ken said about the window truck down here in the tx heat.

59apache

Chipmaker
dito...
canvas top....i like it! i roll it to open, secure with a bungee cord - ready- 5 minutes to open and close.
I think its much better when its hot outside. With the top closed the engine heat cooks you - with top open no problem.

goatijoe

Yea i like to go topless with the windshield down and watch the cops look with the face like is that even legal like that. I also value the input from some where in Texas about the heat if any ones gonna know it would be them on how to beat it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks