• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone done this?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Usually, on a van trailer, the sides and top are structural members of the unite. Flat beds are built different, with necessarily stronger under frames. Better look close, to see how its built.

Lee in Alaska

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I agree with our Alaskan brother the vans only have very minimal floor bracing since the entire body is a box beam. Some of the Army vehicles have stronger frames but take a look at an M127 versus an M146 and you will see deeper beams and stronger substructure on the M127.

MilitaryRestoration

sorry meant m129 got my trailers mixed up. And yes I get what you mean, but like the m119 the m129 too has the chassis style frame to it. So that said and corrections being made hehe now what are your suggestions/opinions :)

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man!! an M146 with the front wheels as shown would be sweet behind a deuce! the ultimate camper+commo trailer I wish there were a highway trailer, pullable by a M35, that would hold an S-280.

MilitaryRestoration

because flat deck trailers tend to go for so much and the shell on our trailers isn't the best so the thought keeps going through my head. It has a really nice deck and the chassis seems to be brand newish compared to the van that appears to have been put onto it... Anyone done this?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have one just like that in my back yard The dolly trailer rig pulled OK on the flats but on hills it got down to 3rd gear let me tell you I95 South is not a place to be that slow.

dmetalmiki

My 45foot ex R.A.F. recovry tariler

45 foot sliding deck (pull pins lock brakes nose disconnect air lines.)push trailer back and it rolls to the floor and ramp slide out to road. Load two trucks pull the trailer forward and the deck comes up to traveling position also l ramp comes up into travel position. lock pins connect airlines. ready to go. I made the dolly for the front to suit my M62. the dolly has brakes as well (adapted by me) Palm couplings.nato electric hitch.and has ABS braking system. Tows well and negotiates roundabouts (them doughnut things in the roads at intersections over here!) ok with care and attention..and a look out for others negotiating the roundabout..but mini roundabouts (a predominent scourge lately over here!)neccesitate going "straight on " on wrong side (right side) of the road to avoid wiping out the lighting bollards!! much to the amusement (terror/horrer/amazement!) of our car driving brothers!. some pics posted for interest.

Attachments

rattlecan6104

RE: My 45foot ex R.A.F. recovry tariler

I've seen a commercial single axle box trailer converted to a flatbed, connected to a semi and he locked the trailer brakes and went into reverse, snapped the bed and folded the back end right under, it was crazy. From the get go, you could tell the trailer was extremely flimsy.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Miltrucks trailer is in the M48 pics. MACCUS is currently in the middle of the same project. They are quite nice when done. :wink:

MilitaryRestoration

dmetal - what are you talking about? sorry, either i'm asleep still or just lost hehe

hndrsonj - i see the m348 but not the m48. Also see 'Van trailer #2' but it wont load for me. could you possibly send a link to the pictures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks