• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Having trouble adjusting the alternator

acesneights1

My deuce was only at 24v so I tried to adjust the regulator by increasing the voltage adj. it went 1 click and did nothing, 2 clicks I could actually hear the engine lug down a little, it was putting out 28.5v and I would hear a screeching almost like loose belts but belts are tight and in good condition. When I backed of the adj, back to 24v.
got me stumped.

acesneights1

Yeah , I was wondering about that too because Inhave adjusted a few of these and never had one feel like it has clocks to it but this one did and it looked slightly different than others I have had so figured maybe that's how this one is. The Troubleshooting TM did not really address the issue I'm having. This one will charge but can't balance it. It's either too much or nothing . Maybe the regulator pot is bad and that's why it feels like it's clicking. I guess I'm yanking it tomorrow.
i would replace the regulator but the noise coming out of it whe. I did get it to charge bothers me. I may take it to a shop and have it tested.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Save your hands and just remove the entire bracket and generator from the block with the three bolts attaching it from the block.

But then you already knew that, I did not.

The plug or cap to get to the adjuster is supposed to be torque 35 inch pounds but mine was locked in there at > 35 foot pounds and I had to cut off the 10-32 cover plate screws to get in there.

It would be interesting when you find the front bolt generator to bracket with a cross cotter pin in it and a special locknut that noone can get to.

Especially is fun with no Soldier "B".
IMG_2579.jpg
IMG_2567.jpg
View attachment 680334
View attachment 680334
View attachment 680334

but then I followed the TM as I understood it. Oh well.
Sometimes I think I can fix things.
IMG_1577.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
24.5 should be about right for charging. Maybe you just got a bad "pot" on the regulator that is causing the clicking. I've found it helps "some" to pull the alt, take the regulator off the back and hose it down with brake clean. Then I hit it with pressurized air to MAKE SURE its dry before putting back on. The alts can really collect debris inside that doesn't do them any good.

rustystud

Actually the correct charge rate on a 24 volt system is between 27.0 and 30 volts. 30 volts is usually only on special equipment as normally this much voltage will cook your batteries out of water really fast. I always set mine at 28 volts. Now the new "MAT" style batteries need it to be exactly at 28.5 to 29 volts.

FloridaAKM

My Deuce runs @ 28.5 & all is good @ the gauge & the Fluke. The LMTV runs @ 25.0 on the truck gauge when you start it, & slowly goes into the yellow zone after about 10-15 minutes. The Fluke says it is 28.5 @ the slave port. I don't trust the gauges on military trucks, especially the FUEL gauge.

BT3583

Hi all I know this is an old thread but what the hell. I think my generator is shot, when checking voltage at batteries I get 25 (new batteries). When checking at the alternator I get 23.5. I disconnected the positive lead from generator and left exciter wire on, started truck and check from the power to ground and got zero, actually had continuity. Can I assume she’s done? Also, can the adjuster screw on generator be turned to much, mine just turns feels loose. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks