• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heading to the East Coast

Crazyls2

I set off from Palestine Texas this morning and made it as far as Vicksburg MS on day one. Riding down the highway at 60MPH sure does seem to get people uptight but most folks didn't seem too bothered.

The past couple of weeks the truck was in for service and to resolve a couple of small issues. Since starting this trip we found the solenoid for the fan is crapped out so I disconnected it and the fan is running all the time until I get back to Charleston SC. The starter was rebuilt because when the truck is warmed up it doesn't like to start. It ran fine the last couple of days but today the no start when hot thing came back. The mechanic changed all of the fluids and went ahead and flushed the tranny then filled it back up with ATF.

Averaging 6MPG in some mixed highway city driving. I think I have an unbalanced or out of round tire (or 4) but it isn't so bad I can't live with it.

Attachments

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I know why I was having a hard time with the starter yesterday, it was working its way loose. This morning it had spun itself off the bell housing.
That's no fun. On the plus side, reinstalling a starter shouldn't be a big fix if you can get the bolts.

Now, I don't know a great deal about the FMTVs, but I have noticed traffic about them having a vibration issue. Something about driveshaft phasing, I believe. I would recommend some research on it, if you aren't aware already. If it were me, and it's already rattled a starter off, I would start putting a wrench on anything I could on the drivetrain. I believe they like to shake off alternators/brackets.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That's no fun. On the plus side, reinstalling a starter shouldn't be a big fix if you can get the bolts.

Now, I don't know a great deal about the FMTVs, but I have noticed traffic about them having a vibration issue. Something about driveshaft phasing, I believe. I would recommend some research on it, if you aren't aware already. If it were me, and it's already rattled a starter off, I would start putting a wrench on anything I could on the drivetrain. I believe they like to shake off alternators/brackets.
Those starters are as heavy as what is on a 5ton 809/939. They use small m10 bolts to hold it on. Those are equal to 3/8 compared to the nhc250s use three 5/8" bolts

Crazyls2

Turned out to be a M10x1.5x40 and it wasn't terrible to get back in but sure wasn't fun.

Sitting on the side of the road in Georgia about one hour out from Atlanta waiting on a mobile mechanic. He thinks I have a blown turbo. Just another day in the life of an idiot driving a 1998 LMTV 1,000 miles........

Attachments

Crazyls2

I will pull the driveshafts when I get to Charleston and have them balanced. I had read about them causing expensive damage. Thanks for the reminder.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Turned out to be a M10x1.5x40 and it wasn't terrible to get back in but sure wasn't fun.

Sitting on the side of the road in Georgia about one hour out from Atlanta waiting on a mobile mechanic. He thinks I have a blown turbo. Just another day in the life of an idiot driving a 1998 LMTV 1,000 miles........
East or West of Atlanta?

Pull the turbo, cap the oil line and drive on.

West of Atlanta you have @Elijah95 @Rmtaunton and @patracy

Crazyls2

East or West of Atlanta?

Pull the turbo, cap the oil line and drive on.

West of Atlanta you have @Elijah95 @Rmtaunton and @patracy
I am west of Atlanta. I will ask the fella that is heading my way if that is something he can do. He told me my air box is going to be full of oil and there will be some things that need cleaning out. He said he can pull it off and have it rebuilt and have me back on the road for about $2,700.00.

Crazyls2

Well.... after a couple of hours a mobile mechanic was able to get me back on the road. The high pressure line on my oil pump broke. The metal was brittle. Waiting to get the truck washed so I don't spend the rest of the drive worrying my truck will start on fire.

Crazyls2

If need be, I have a truck and trailer that’ll get you anywhere you need to go. Located a little south of atlanta
I now have truck envy.
Thank you Elijah, hopefully one day I can be of assistance to someone as well. At the rate I am going I should be a decent shade tree mechanic on LMTV's if my truck keeps breaking at the current rate.

I packed it in for the night in Carrollton. Getting up early in the morning and heading home.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I now have truck envy.
Thank you Elijah, hopefully one day I can be of assistance to someone as well. At the rate I am going I should be a decent shade tree mechanic on LMTV's if my truck keeps breaking at the current rate.

I packed it in for the night in Carrollton. Getting up early in the morning and heading home.
Anytime. That’s the spirit! You will overcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks