• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heater Core Replacement - Any Helpful Hints?

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had vaporized anti-freeze fog coming from my heater last trip around the block. I haven't started ripping it apart yet but wanted to see if there were any tricks to it. Anyone done this recently and had any tidbits to pass along?

This is also based on the assumption that it is the heater core. Any recommendations for where to get a replacement if needed? I've seen the hose on mcmaster.

I haven't yet dug into the TM's for the actual procedure (but will). Searching through the forum with heater core terms didn't yield many useful results, and although I did get a few close hits on youtube, there was nothing direct there either.

Thanks in advance.

Reworked LMTV

I had vaporized anti-freeze fog coming from my heater last trip around the block. I haven't started ripping it apart yet but wanted to see if there were any tricks to it. Anyone done this recently and had any tidbits to pass along?

This is also based on the assumption that it is the heater core. Any recommendations for where to get a replacement if needed? I've seen the hose on mcmaster.

I haven't yet dug into the TM's for the actual procedure (but will). Searching through the forum with heater core terms didn't yield many useful results, and although I did get a few close hits on youtube, there was nothing direct there either.

Thanks in advance.
In some cases can be fixed, or replaced as Beastmaster said. Used one from a later model would work too.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Upon further investigation, the heater core is fine. The mist invading the cab came though the vent (didn't know this until I took the dash apart to understand how it works). Tracing the vent feed, I took a look at the rad I can see a seep of coolant coming down its fins. Ugh.

Any helpful hints for a rad pull?

Reworked LMTV

I don't have any hints for the radiator, but while you are in there check the fan clutch, fan air tubing, remove driver's side front engine cover (at injection pump) and check that bolt is tight on gear.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have any hints for the radiator, but while you are in there check the fan clutch, fan air tubing, remove driver's side front engine cover (at injection pump) and check that bolt is tight on gear.

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of stuff I was/am looking for!

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have any hints for the radiator, but while you are in there check the fan clutch, fan air tubing...
Is there something specific that I need to inspect on these and what should I be looking for? What is the high wear item here? It has been working fine.

...remove driver's side front engine cover (at injection pump) and check that bolt is tight on gear.
Got a diagram/location? Is this the cover:

Thanks in advance.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And on the fan, it is distinctly not wobbly right now. I gave it a good shaking around while it was still on the motor and it's quite stable. I can't seem to find the thread right now, but at one point I want to say I saw a recommendation on removing the rubber piece which is prone to failure. I don't remember the downside to it (if there was one). Any group consensus out there?

In the interim I will keep looking for the thread.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still looking for a little help please.

I found this thread: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/loose-rad-fan.194345/

My fan is the one in post #8 above and didn't have parts #30, 31, & 33 from this image:

So I assume it's a new one and doesn't have the rubber hub which disintegrates. If someone could please confirm.

Also if someone had a pointer to what bolt behind which cover to check in regards to "remove driver's side front engine cover (at injection pump) and check that bolt is tight on gear", or the TM section where to find it, that would be appreciated.

coachgeo

Still looking for a little help please.

I found this thread: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/loose-rad-fan.194345/

My fan is the one in post #8 above and didn't have parts #30, 31, & 33 from this image:

So I assume it's a new one and doesn't have the rubber hub which disintegrates. If someone could please confirm.

Also if someone had a pointer to what bolt behind which cover to check in regards to "remove driver's side front engine cover (at injection pump) and check that bolt is tight on gear", or the TM section where to find it, that would be appreciated.
or someone removed the rubber and bolted it back together which I think I read is a solution one should do with the old version when they can. Doing so essentially copies the design of the new version if I recall right.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks George.

Can anybody point me at the TM section or actual procedure for cover removal. Or is as simple as just pull the bolts, remove the cover, check the nut's tightness?

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got adventurous and took off the oil fill tube where it bolts onto the cover and saw a nut right in front of it. I assume that's it? Looks like it should be. 1 1/8" socket?

The good thing is it was nice and tight.

If that wasn't it, feel free to re-direct me.

Thanks in advance!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks