• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Height Alteration When Adding Flags On Parade Advisory HAWAFOPA

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HEIGHT SAFETY ADVISORY

A 'new' thing happened and I'd like to not see it happen again. A last minute flag was added to the Gizmo half way down this parade line. Gizmo is the M135 and the flag was on a fiberglass pole......that's a good thing.......get a fiberglass pole for your flag. Measuring your Flag Pole and keeping it shorter than that somewhat globally accepted Height of 13'6", should keep you from hitting overhead power-lines.

Not Always!

I was riding on the back of Gizmo and the flag tapped a few trees so the operator piloted the flag between the trees. Nearing the end of the parade, with the daytime temps increasing, we grazed what appeared to be a 13.8KV primary overhead line which gently slid over the top of the flag. Sassy! Fiberglass Pole!

Hot days and saggy power lines, distraction of the waving masses and while in parade formation......... getting electrocuted is NOT COOL!

Forget about the measurements and waving and step up the situational awareness of the operator for overheads......Or Let your Flags Hang Low, don't ya tie' em in a bow, don't ya throw em' over your soldier like a continental boulder,...Let your Flags Hang Low!

P6030564.jpg

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good advice.

I had an acquaintance killed by touching a ladder against a 6,800V line at of all places, a church.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always be cautious with poles, tents, etc.

Sadly I was at the BSA National Jamboree in 2005 held at FT. A.P. Hill, Va serving on staff when 4 leaders from Alaska where setting up a large tent and the pole contacted a wire, killing all 4 in the first days of the Jamboree.

Unfortunately, an accident happened here on I-10 during widening, when a piece of construction equipment hit an overhead power line killing the operator a few years ago.

Be careful out there folks!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parades and fireworks are traditional celebration activities.

HOWEVER, electrical arcing and the electrification of parade vehicles ARE NOT celebratory, but could allow you to bypass the CREMATORY and go directly to ASHES.

There ain't a sane spectator in the world who wants to witness the making of a CRISPY CRITTER.

Be safe, boys and girls.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parades and fireworks are traditional celebration activities.

HOWEVER, electrical arcing and the electrification of parade vehicles ARE NOT celebratory, but could allow you to bypass the CREMATORY and go directly to ASHES.

There ain't a sane spectator in the world who wants to witness the making of a CRISPY CRITTER.

Be safe, boys and girls.
Yeah, what he said. Don't make an Ash out of yourself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks