• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heim Joint Steering Has it been done for our Mules

rexman

Hi looking for a better way to steer my mule,Stock tie rods would be great if had Greese fitting's ,But Seen offroad vehicles running Heim's ,so was a thinking they might make the mule steering easyer ,not ware out as fast,Only problem is making a tapered/treaded shank to fit the size of heim using. Or a Heim treaded part of the joint and Drill out tapered of knuckle ,use some kind of tube get them left and right treaded ,Looking For IDEA's

Last edited:

M920

Hi looking for a better way to steer my mule,Stock tie rods would be great if had Greese fitting's ,But Seen offroad vehicles running Heim's ,so was a thinking they might make the mule steering easyer ,not ware out as fast,Only problem is making a tapered/treaded shank to fit the size of heim using. Or a Heim treaded part of the joint and Drill out tapered of knuckle ,use some kind of tube get them left and right treaded ,Looking For IDEA's
I have tried the Heim joints when we first built the Scorpions and they did not last very long! They did not brake or anything, but they started to rattle almost instantly, even when greased all the time.
On my Steyr Puch Haflinger, I converted the hard to get and expensive, factory tie rod ends to readily available Jeep CJ ends. I had to re-taper the steering components and make a new tie rod and drag links, but I never had to replace them again. The tapered reamer needed is available from most race car supply places.

Soni

cascadeking

Ps- for the Haflinger, you could use an A/M replacement drag link from a '74 Mercedes 240D tie rod assembly. You just have to shorten the adjusting sleeve by 2.25" and tap the end with a 14x1.5 tap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks