• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help me pick display weapon.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are you trying to represent? A Barrett is a specialty weapon that isn’t all that common. Whereas SAWs are widely used by the US military, present in many types of formations. I’ve seen a lot SAWs on various vehicle mounts or tripods, Barretts are just not as common. I’ve seen more in civilian hands than I’ve seen in 23 years of Army service. Many vets will likely relate to a SAW, it’s not seen as often outside of the military, and it’s an MG which is an extra cool factor in my opinion. Or it’ll at least look like an MG. Any M240 or M2 options? A 240 would be even cooler than a SAW.

RJTM998

What are you trying to represent? A Barrett is a specialty weapon that isn’t all that common. Whereas SAWs are widely used by the US military, present in many types of formations. I’ve seen a lot SAWs on various vehicle mounts or tripods, Barretts are just not as common. I’ve seen more in civilian hands than I’ve seen in 23 years of Army service. Many vets will likely relate to a SAW, it’s not seen as often outside of the military, and it’s an MG which is an extra cool factor in my opinion. Or it’ll at least look like an MG. Any M240 or M2 options? A 240 would be even cooler than a SAW.
Just a general display unit for people to check out and honor our servicemembers. I will probably go with the M29 since I am just putting it on a tripod in the back. Not doing a turret top.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My opinion (but you did ask!), the basic full sized M249.
I have one in my weapons display when we do shows, it's very popular with public and veterans alike.

The Para 249 is interesting, but most veterans (including me) have never seen one in the wild, so there is no "connection".

There's my 2cents, which unsurprisingly is precisely what it is worth! ;-)

By the way, the airsoft guns are very accurate and realistic, most folks don't realize they are not the original article unless picked up.
Military guns almost always look well worn, with the corners buffed shiny just from use. You can gently stress the airsoft gun high points with a Scotchbrite pad, just enough to wear through some of the paint, and they will look even more real.
But that part is up to you to decide on, if and how much wear. ;)

Cheers

A real gun in use

6.jpg

My M249 scuffed (but not yet cleaned!) -

ss1 M249.jpg ss2 M249.jpg

RJTM998

I have one in my weapons display when we do shows, it's very popular with public and veterans alike.

The Para 249 is interesting, but most veterans (including me) have never seen one in the wild, so there is no "connection".

By the way, the airsoft guns are very accurate and realistic, most folks don't realize they are not the original article unless picked up.
Military guns almost always look well worn, with the corners buffed shiny just from use. You can gently stress the airsoft gun high points with a Scotchbrite pad, just enough to wear through some of the paint, and they will look even more real.

Cheers

A real gun in use

View attachment 870799

View attachment 870800 View attachment 870801
I agree, I think I am going with the standard M249. yes, airsoft is very accurate to the genuine firearms. I have messed with airsoft for over 20 years. It actually pretty amazing how accurate they are. Thanks for responding.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Cheers

A real gun in use

View attachment 870799

View attachment 870800 View attachment 870801
Good point on the scuffed, bright corners. Yours looks real. Looks like it’s all metal too. What brand airsoft is that?

67Beast

Yep I would go for the standard M249 as that is the one most vet's will have an interest in. I've used airsoft replicas in my vehicle displays for years and they really help set the mood for the vehicle. I use an airsoft M60 and several M16a1's and 1911's in my Vietnam era display and most people have no idea that they are not real weapons. The full metal airsoft replicas are usually very close to the originals they were based off. Here's my 67' M715 al decked out at shows.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What brand airsoft is that?
Our guns always looked pretty worn! But they were mechanically in great shape (reliability being high on the list of desirable traits :giggle:).
I was an M60 gunner in the Marines last century.

My gun is an A&K, I like them because they are almost all metal, and are very good quality. I usually buy guns from Evike Airsoft when they have them on sale.
A&K actually licensed the gun replica from FN, who provided technical support to assure accuracy.

Most of my display guns are airsoft. Apart from being very realistic, there is no huge loss if one managed to get walked off with, and you certainly can't have a negligent discharge. ;)

67beast, I saw your splendid M715 at the convention last year, superb work!

Cheers

Last edited:

RJTM998

Our guns always looked pretty worn! But they were mechanically in great shape (reliability being high on the list of desirable traits :giggle:).
I was an M60 gunner in the Marines last century.

My gun is an A&K, I like them because they are almost all metal, and are very good quality. I usually buy guns from Evike Airsoft when they have them on sale.
A&K actually licensed the gun replica from FN, who provided technical support to assure accuracy.

Most of my display guns are airsoft. Apart from being very realistic, there is no huge loss if one managed to get walked off with, and you certainly can't have a negligent discharge. ;)

67beast, I saw your splendid M715 at the convention last year, superb work!

Cheers
Same here. Always check Evike Epic Deals. On Ebay you can find broken ones even cheaper sometimes.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. I'm a cheapskate, always looking for a good deal! :ROFLMAO:

M1165A1, yes, the A&K M240s are great too. I have a regular M240, and one I am converting to an M240D (aircraft door-gun version). My son was a gunner on V-22 Ospreys, I have a set of real spade grips I am installing in his honour.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks