• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help! MEP-002a starts then immediately the solenoid kills the engine-what all can trigger this???

Tpoole

I searched the net and the forum and could not find the answer, tested the oil pressure sensor and its good as well as the engine temp sensor? and it was good. My generator has no fuel tank but i'm not sure that that would trigger the shutdown of the engine. I also have read the manual and wiring (that i could not figure out) all that said i need help.
1) What are all the conditions in which the engine will trigger the shutdown fuel pump solenoid?
2)separate question: can the engine work properly on one fuel pump? seems like its max rpm is lower than 1800
3)hertz gauge barely moves when cranked, i can tell its working by slightly moving but still WAY off from 65 hertz; 110 does work with lights plugged in.
thank you for any advise you can give!

Scoobyshep

when is it shutting off? right as you release the start switch? the oil pressure and temp switch will shut it down, and loss of K1

yes it can run on 1 pump

these gauges can lie to you, verify frequency with a meter

Ray70

Assuming that all your wiring is in tact, the oil and temp switches are the first thing that come to mind that would shut it off, but sounds like you have already checked both. Might need to confirm the wiring is correct and no loose connections.
You only need 1 primary fuel pump for it to run.
Are you able to increase engine speed with the throttle, or is it all the way out and you still can't get 1800 RPM?
It sounds like your engine id running too slow, you need to get the Hz up to 60 or slightly more.

Tpoole

when is it shutting off? right as you release the start switch? the oil pressure and temp switch will shut it down, and loss of K1

yes it can run on 1 pump

these gauges can lie to you, verify frequency with a meter

Right when it starts, what is a loss to k1? Can you elaborate a little bit please? How do I check that? Thank you for the help!

Tpoole

Assuming that all your wiring is in tact, the oil and temp switches are the first thing that come to mind that would shut it off, but sounds like you have already checked both. Might need to confirm the wiring is correct and no loose connections.
You only need 1 primary fuel pump for it to run.
Are you able to increase engine speed with the throttle, or is it all the way out and you still can't get 1800 RPM?
It sounds like your engine id running too slow, you need to get the Hz up to 60 or slightly more.
The pull out throttle lever increases slightly then it reduces back down. All this is with the solenoid jumped to 24 v

Scoobyshep

Right when it starts, what is a loss to k1? Can you elaborate a little bit please? How do I check that? Thank you for the help!
K1 (start relay) is energized from the start position of the start switch, (its also parallel to K5 (gov solenoid) when K1 closes it holds itself in as long as the set is in run and oil is ok and temp is ok. if high heat or low oil K1 drops out. If the K1 contact isnt passing current and start is released then the gov solenoid (K5) will loose power.

Attachments

Tpoole

K1 (start relay) is energized from the start position of the start switch, (its also parallel to K5 (gov solenoid) when K1 closes it holds itself in as long as the set is in run and oil is ok and temp is ok. if high heat or low oil K1 drops out. If the K1 contact isnt passing current and start is released then the gov solenoid (K5) will loose power.
You are amazing! What would you advise trying to test? I tested the oil pressure sensor and it was good and the temp sensor on the far side of the engine and it was good. I am just jumping the terminals to test is there another way or something else that I can try?

Scoobyshep

You are amazing! What would you advise trying to test? I tested the oil pressure sensor and it was good and the temp sensor on the far side of the engine and it was good. I am just jumping the terminals to test is there another way or something else that I can try?
If you are sure that the oil and temp switches are good, I would meter TB5-7 with the switch in run (since you are getting fuel pump I suspect this is good, then TB5-8 to battery negative, This should go to 24 volt as soon as you start cranking.

Tpoole

If you are sure that the oil and temp switches are good, I would meter TB5-7 with the switch in run (since you are getting fuel pump I suspect this is good, then TB5-8 to battery negative, This should go to 24 volt as soon as you start cranking.
Okay, I have not tested the wires but the even with the oil sensor unscrewed it did not change the kill solonoid turn the engine off after start, fuel pumps kick on great. I discovered a washer out of place on one of the pumps so due to the advice I got here I was able to fix the broken pump so I have two working fuel pumps.
1)what would be the fix if the wires don't test correctly?
2) something that caught my eye is unless I jump the kill solinoid to the battery the battery gauge on the panel does not work in every other situation, engine running or not.
3) how much fuel should be coming through the ip overflow? Mine only drips every little while....never more is this normal?

Scoobyshep

Okay, I have not tested the wires but the even with the oil sensor unscrewed it did not change the kill solonoid turn the engine off after start, fuel pumps kick on great. I discovered a washer out of place on one of the pumps so due to the advice I got here I was able to fix the broken pump so I have two working fuel pumps.
1)what would be the fix if the wires don't test correctly?
2) something that caught my eye is unless I jump the kill solinoid to the battery the battery gauge on the panel does not work in every other situation, engine running or not.
3) how much fuel should be coming through the ip overflow? Mine only drips every little while....never more is this normal?
Battery gauge is fed from k1

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Tpoole

Could be the relay or wiring, need to test. Are you competent with the use of a volt meter?

I am but this generator is really new to me and it makes me nervous, also with no fuel tank I figured it had to be related to the plug bieng disconnected. I do appreciate your help and patience. Last question: mine has one threaded pipe for the exhaust, I looked with no luck, is there a direct bolt on muffler?

Attachments

Scoobyshep

Not to my knowledge. That wire hanging from the box below the exhaust pipe, it looks like that may be the temperature sensor leads. If so that may be your problem

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So for the LOP switch, all you have to do to test this is undo the leads off of it, and temporarily hook them together (simple nut and bolt will accomplish this). Without touching anything else, then try to crank it over and see if she fires.

The temp sensor is going through the side of your louver assy... the wires hanging out of the louvers, where are they coming from?

Tpoole

These came from the temp sensor, I thought the temp sensors were attached to both sides of the block right over the ip pump. So I put the wires together and put them on to the temp sensor, turned it on and it burned through the ground strap. I could have attached the wrong connector to it. I have no fuel tank so there was one that had a 90 and one strait. It was killing the engine with the straight one plugged in so I tried the 90 and it burned through the ground strap. I hope it's related and I don't have another issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks