• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help needed M106 emergency tow air brake question

3dAngus

Hi all,

A rare need for help as I do not have my Deuce yet.
I am attempting to move my M1061e1 trailer about 30 feet with a pickup truck, and only a six cylinder. I have read the TM which says I need to pump up the emergency air line and it releases the brakes at about 90psi or so. I have it up to 100psi where I am pumping it up with an air compressor and have a shutoff valve in place.

I released the manual brakes after hearing the brakes release from the emergency air line. I do not have the normal service line hooked up to anything, and have not tampered with it. I cannot find reference to it in the manuals outside of maintenance, cleaning, and hookup on both the MV and trailer. Not sure if it needs an air feed or not.

My brakes seem to be locked up anyway. I pull with the pickup and it just digs in where, when watching the tires, they still seem locked up.

Is it absolutely necessary the air brake service line have air in it too?

I do not have the inertia type brake from the pintle hitch like some do, so that is not a factor.

Any advice in going further is appreciated.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are both parking brake levers released?

Have you tried moving it without any air connected?

I thought that trailer has air/hydraulic brakes, not straight air.

If you look at the axles, does it have air chambers on the axles? Or does it have steel brake lines going to the brake backing Plate?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just looked at a picture of your trailer that you posted when you got it.

You should be able to simply release the 2 parking brake handles and tow it with whatever you have(no air connected).

3dAngus

OK, I just tried with and without air. Wheels are locked up. I also read where MDSA towed it without air in his M37 for a short distance, so I would think it would move.

Would the electrical need be connected?

Maybe this little six cylinder doesn't have the umppfed needed, but after 4 hours of rigging, I want to try everything I can to move it 30 feet. I don't have the electrical plug connected, and both hand brakes are released.

I do feel like it should budge some after seeing the trailer lift upon takeoff, but tires just don't budge.

3dAngus

OK. I checked the hand brake lines and they go loose, but not limp. Climbing under the trailer now to inspect at the other end.....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you charged the emergency line and then released it, the relay valve would sense a loss of air and lock up the brakes. Find the air tanks and bleed it off and the brakes should release.

3dAngus

OK, thanks Recovery. I bled off all the air in the air tank and same ole same ole.
I inspected the hand brake line up to the front axle. It runs into a semi rigid hard line for a couple of feet and it broke and was crimped, but the line slipped through it. I cannot fully inspect for locked brakes without pulling the wheels, and that might be beyond my capacity at this time. My ten ton jack will lift the 12000 pound trailer, but pulling wheels is a bit much just yet for this kind of operation.

Looks like a job for a Deuce. It was pulled here flawlessly by a SS member when I bought it a couple of months ago, and has been sitting since. Was hoping to move it so I could unload it, but guess it will have to wait. I appreciate all the help guys. I'll send pictures of my truck and trailer with hookups in return for my appreciation. I know you guys like pictures.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could jack up one wheel at a time, and see if you can rotate them(no need to take the wheel off). That would not be too difficult and would tell you if you have fozen brakes or, any problem other than a small truck.

3dAngus

Oh, that is an excellent idea Doghead. Thanks. I'll get back on it.
First, here is a few pictures of my wasted $220 project for a 30 foot move (elevated pintle hitch, air connections and cutoff valves)

Last pic is my new garage going up. Those guys don't know what the heck I'm doing back there. I guess, I don't either. Live and learn. Thanks guys. I'm gonna go jack something up, now that I'm all jacked up. Equilibrium coming, I hope.

Attachments

hoop

If it is like the Bolster trailer, just loosen the brake adjuster stud on the one or ones that do not rotate.

3dAngus

Yep! Jacked up the trailer and all wheels are locked up. What a drag....

Get it?

Oh, and I did try backing it up before I jacked it up. Now, I'm all jacked up....again! Ha!

I'll check my TM again and see if there are any adjustment bolts on the M1061e1

Maybe a sludge hammer will do it.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next, I would try opening the bleeders on the wheel cylinders and see if there is any pressure.

fasttruck

gOT CORRECT LINE HOOKED UP ? tRAILERS WITH TWO HOSEDS CROSS OVER: I.E. THE ONE ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE TRAILER IS THE EMERGHENCY LINE WHICH HAS TO BE CHARGED TO RELEASE BRAKE, RIGHT SIDE , USUALLY PAINTED YELLOW IS SERVICE LINE AND WILL APPLY BRAKES WHEN CHARGED.

3dAngus

Bleeders on wheel cylinders. ON it.

I read the M106 which has a different style of braking, inertia, I think you call it, doesn't need air on the lines. This one does not have inertia, it is the M1061E1. I can hear the brakes pop on and off when pumped up to 90psi. Tried it both ways. Will try again with it jacked up, right after I research the bleeders on the wheel cylinders, whatever that turns out to be .

Maybe I should wear eye googles.

Nahhhhhhhhh.....

This old computer jock is going to do it like a REAL Mannnnnn.

I'll just tell the wife to bring home some eyewash.

Ain't been this dirty and sweaty in years. Can't wait for the wife to come home so I can give her a big hug.

3dAngus

OK, mostly got it now.

The rear axle tires rotate freely now. The front axle tire barely turn, and they have some brake rub as they turn, but they move for the first time. Turns out, I don't know what the **** I did. I do know I missed the importance of the hand brake crimping on the outer spring near the wheels. I pulled on that crimp where the brake line goes through it and tried to straighten it out some more. Also, there was probably about 15-20 pounds of air in the tank. Not sure how it got there. I must have farted or something after I pulled the air tank release pull, and it sucked it up. Farts are lighter than air, so that could have had a major impact.

Anyway, I'm surprised the back wheels turn so freely. I was only able to turn the two front wheels about a quarter of a turn, cause I'm mostly out of horsepower here. Rubbing is pretty good, but under the power of my Chevy V-6 I'm sure I can move it thirty feet to pull off the laundry unit items. I decided to keep the generator for my personal playtoy. It's perfect with 98 hours on it. And I might keep the hot water heater as one was used recently down in Florida with sucess. Someone might need to borrow it some time and if you have a need, just ping me and it's yours (on a loaner). It's a multifuel that needs 115vac too. Don't know if the compressor hooks up to it for switches like the laundry unit or not, so that need be researched.

Anyway, I really love this site. It is everything an old OD Green man could wish for.
Time to make a small donation to the website, and have a brew.
Wife called, and she is on the way home.

Let the fun begin!

p.s. I'll try to hook up tomorrow and see if I can pull er out. Thanks to all for the contributions.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The air pressure in the tanks is what caused your issues(90% sure). If I ever need to move a trailer with my pickup, I usually make sure the vent is open or totally out. I would imagine the rear axle's brakes were not adjusted as tight as the front, that would account for the difference.

3dAngus

OK, truck will now pull it out of there. I slowly lowered (bad back) the trailer and hooked up, and pulled it out without issue.
Chris, I did fill and empty the tanks three times during the ordeal. Turns out, when I did it last, I left the air compressor line hooked up. I think the shutoff valve slowly leaked some of the 120psi air from the comprssor to the trailer tank, as I fully discharged the trailer tank, but mysteriously some got back in. It is the only thing that makes sense to me after sleeping on it.

Anyway, bad back has me down today so my day ended early, but wanted to come back and let all the people who helped know all is well and we had some great sucess here, while having fun and learning a lot about my trailer along the way. Great site, and even better help. Thanks again.
p.s. I found two new crank handles under my trailer I did not know were there.