• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP needed with M817 Dump Truck

EdMontana

Today I had to move some gravel and fired up my M817.....I had not started it in ages (last summer?!), it fired up at very first try, I checked the bed before loading and it went up and down without problems.

After dump the first load the lever stuck and I cannot lower the bed now.....I noticed a shaft coming from the PTO to the hydraulic pump, is that some sort of locking mechanism against the actuator?

thanks in advance for any help!

Ed

autoshopteacher

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ed, I own an 817 but it is loaded w/ roadmix to help plowing and it is muddy underneath so I can't respond to the locking mechanism part of your question. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be worn dump lever linkage that I fixed by adjustment. The TM helped, but my success came from trial and error. The adjustment was a bit difficult to get right. Whenever I use the dump and lower the box, I check the PTO driveshaft to ensure that it is not spinning so I know it is totally disengaged. Pretty fine adjustment.

TNJMurray

We've got a part for that
The linkage on those trucks will drive you crazy!!! There are 3 arms ifi remember that must move in different directions at the sometime . The adjustments on them are supper critical . You just need to get under there and find the happy place. The tm will help some . We always had the luxury of having another dump in the yard we could measure off of. Good luck!! Tnjmurray.com. Murco@tnjmurray.com

EdMontana

Thanks for the replies, KEEP COMING!

My search here come up with problems raising the dump bed, no one had the problem getting it down I guess?

The TM just shows the diagram of the parts, I did not find any troubleshooting for it, underneath everything looks normal, nothing out of place or bent, no leaks.....looks like it stuck for lack of lubrication?

At this point I would be happy in getting the dump bed down, wonder if there is any bleeding valve anywhere to just bring it down?

Ed

Jeff001

OK, question, is the PTO shaft turning? IS the BED past center all the way back? If PTO is not turning you can manually engage the PTO under the truck engine off then start and run. CAUTION: A friend of mine was killed some years ago because he needed to lower his malfunctioning dump bed and loosened the hydraulic line to bleed it down. I do not recommend that procedure, it can come down way faster that you can move. Just my thoughts.

EdMontana

I finally had my son around to help me out, got myself under the truck and while my son was trying to move the lever I could see what was moving down there......the problem is, someone mounted the long bolt (16) up side down from the picture bellow, nut got loose and long bolt was hanging against the frame...reason why the lever stuck. I was able to move the small lever at the control box and bring the dump bed down.

Now I need find a nut for this bolt and mount it in the correct way...hard to reach place :neutral: I think they could have easily engineered a better way to articulate the control box lever.

I want to thank you everyone that replied !

Ed

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks