• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help needed with mep 003a

Hello and how are you all doing g . Haven't been on the forum in some time, had a lot going on.
So, I'm looking for some help . I can't get this 003a to make power. Is there anybody in New Jersey that can give me a hand with this unit ?
I've tried everything I can do to check the unit out but cannot get it to make power.
I would appreciate any help, metalworker393

Chainbreaker

Is this unit new to you? Have you even seen it make power previously?

If you can't find anyone to come out we can most likely walk you through some tests to determine where the issue is.

If you want to list what you have checked out thus far I'm sure SS members will chime in as to something you might not have thought to check if you have time to troubleshoot.

Off the top of my head here are some of the more typical issues: bad Rotating diode, gen hd exciter stator not putting out DC, oxidized voltage selection switch that needs attention, etc...

Hello chainbreaker, thanks for the reply.
This is not a new unit to me. I've had this one for some time now . It was producing power , I had it running and getting ready to do a load test to exercise the machine, then it just stopped making power .
I hooked a 12 volt battery to TB3-5 & 6 and it still would not make electricity . I don't know how to check transformers and I'm pretty sure the ac voltage regulator is good .

Chainbreaker

OK, so you are saying it was running & producing AC electrical output and then quit producing AC electrical output while running? Or, you started it up and it was not producing AC electrical output on that restart & hasn't since that restart?

Let's start with the simple stuff 1st (with generator powered off):

1. Can you confirm that the "AC Reconnection Switch" is free to turn? If so, cycle the AC Reconnection Switch through the 3 switch positions "multiple" times. Exercising it should clean off any residual switch oxidation. However, if switch is stuck (don't force it with pliars, etc.) report back & that will have to be discussed as how best to deal with it w/o breaking.

2. Look inside the control box panel and check inside for anything odd - Burnt components or wires, loose wires/screws, etc.

3. Take the side panel (panel below the AC output lugs) off the AC Reconnection box and look inside & do the same - inspect wires, terminal post screws tight, verify no rodents nests, etc.

Note: When inspecting any wires it always good to to a tug-test to insure wire is firmly attached to its terminal end. Otherwise, you can experience intermittent wire contact that comes & goes & it will drive you crazy! o_O

OK, so you are saying it was running & producing AC electrical output and then quit producing AC electrical output while running? Or, you started it up and it was not producing AC electrical output on that restart & hasn't since that restart?

1. Can you confirm that the "AC Reconnection Switch" is free to turn? If so, cycle the AC Reconnection Switch through the 3 switch positions "multiple" times. Exercising it should clean off any residual switch oxidation. However, if switch is stuck (don't force it with pliars, etc.) report back & that will have to be discussed as how best to deal with it w/o breaking.

2. Look inside the control box panel and check inside for anything odd - Burnt components or wires, loose wires/screws, etc.

3. Take the side panel (panel below the AC output lugs) off the AC Reconnection box and look inside & do the same - inspect wires, terminal post screws tight, verify no rodents nests, etc.

Note: When inspecting any wires it always good to to a tug-test to insure wire is firmly attached to its terminal end. Otherwise, you can experience intermittent wire contact that comes & goes & it will drive you crazy! o_O
Hello Chainbreaker how are you. Yes it was running and I had it 240v configuration. I heard a "tick" noise and the voltmeter went to zero. Hasnt made power since. Will have to try rotating the voltage connection switch to see if that helps.

Chainbreaker

Yes it was running in the 240v configuration. I heard a "tick" noise, volt meter went to zero and hasnt made power since.
That's a good clue and it had to be fairly loud "tick" to be heard over a running -003a.

That tick you heard could be the sound of something shorting out or component popping (capacitor etc...). Thus I would focus on #2 & #3 from my list as a first starting point to see if you can visually spot anything.

The way you test transformers is via resistance readings using a multimeter. There is a test procedure in one of the TM's with supplied resistance values for the big transformers within the AC Reconnection box. The T1 & T2 transformers are in the Control Box.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks