• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help translating this tag

twisted60

Found this dog tag in Humvee, it has the correct registration number but could use some help translating the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The above, plus it looks like the inventory control numbers, it's an M998, and it was likely labeled as HQ-20 as the bumper number.

springer1981

With what little I know I'll add that I think the vehicle number is the NG2YK7 and If I am not mistaken the NG stands for National Guard. Should be painted on the inside front foot panel area.

Guyfang

Staff member
Found this dog tag in Humvee, it has the correct registration number but could use some help translating the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Headquarters, headquarters brigade 227th field artillery brigade

T61494 is the LINE NUMBER. When a unit is formed, a document is drawn up to show what major items are to be signed for by a unit Commander. You could call it the Master Inventory. But its called a TOE. The Table of Organization and Equipment (TOE) is a document that prescribes the wartime mission, capabilities, organizational structure, and mission essential personnel and equipment requirements for military units. It list EVERYTHING in the unit, Personnel and Equipment, other then toilet paper and tootsie rolls. So as to keep it under a million pages, all the items on the TOE are listed by a Line Number. The M998 has several different models, so there are several different line numbers.

ARMY BODY STYLELATEST MODEL-NOLINE ITEM NUMBERNSN
CARGO/UTILITYM998A1T614942320-01-371-9577
ARMAMENT CARRIERM1025A2T922422320-01-380-8233
4 LITTER AMBULANCEM997A2T388442310-01-380-8225
HEAVY VARIANT UTILM1097A2T076792320-01-380-8604
UP-ARMOR HMMWVXM1114Z626302320-01-413-3739
EXPANDED CAPACITYXM1113Z625622320-01-412-0143
If you look up the NSN, you would find out if it were a model with or without winch. W/W or WO/W. And a lot of other info. When you look at the TOE line number T61494, the listing would tell you how many trucks just like the model are authorized in the unit. That might be, 30-40 like model trucks. Sometimes the Line Number will also have all the End Item serial numbers listed under it. To ease doing inventory's. It might also list authorized substitutions for a Line Item, when the called for, when normal End Item is not available. It might also tell you if it is with, or without BII. Lots more info is listed there. To much to go though here.

NG2YK7 is the Truck serial number.
HQ-20 is the bumper number.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guyfang, super interesting info I never knew.
One correction though, NG2YK7 is the US Army registration number and NG does NOT stand for National Guard. NG is similar to the first letters of a civilian license plate.

springer1981

One correction though, NG2YK7 is the US Army registration number and NG does NOT stand for National Guard. NG is similar to the first letters of a civilian license plate.
Is that the same number as the number inside the footwell? I had asked about that number before and was told that NG was National Guard. Just curious if that would match the number on the tag?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that the same number as the number inside the footwell? I had asked about that number before and was told that NG was National Guard. Just curious if that would match the number on the tag?
Yes the registration number inside the footwell is (should be) the same as the registration number stamped on the main data plate or in twisted60's case, his truck's own dog tag.

springer1981

Yes the registration number inside the footwell is (should be) the same as the registration number stamped on the main data plate or in twisted60's case, his truck's own dog tag.
My registration number is NG4AZV, is there a way to find out more about this? Thanks for your replies.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My registration number is NG4AZV, is there a way to find out more about this? Thanks for your replies.
No. The number is meaningless just like a license plate on a car. Just like on a car, the letters and numbers increase as registration numbers are issued. For example, the HMMWV manufactured after yours would be NG4AZW. Now older registration number systems had embedded meaning, like the year of manufacture.

Guyfang

Staff member
Thats what I meant, Army Reg number, but could not, for the life of me, remember it. Getting old.

The Log guys could really give us an education on such things. I learned the hard way. I had to assume command of a Maintenance Company, that was standing up. Meaning they were brought into "being", from scratch. I was a brand new CW2. Not prepared for this at all. My boss handed me this huge document, (TOE) and said, "Here butt head, this is what you have to inventory and sign for. Oh, by the way, none of the Battalion Officers are going to show up for 3-4 weeks, so you can also get their stuff rolling too." Oh, did I get an education. The below link is a nice sample. Its a Patriot TOE for a Patriot Battery. Breeze through it. This is an old one. maybe the 1986 time range. This TOE is slick. Means lots of additional info is not there. Its just an example.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks