• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with uh-48 multifuel heater.

ida34

I got one on ebay. Instead of being the normal round type this one is in a box but it looks the same inside the box as some of the round ones. It is just encased in a box. The heater auction had pics of the heater and the data plates which clearly had it as a multifuel. The one I got was not the one pictured. Same model but different and the multifuel part was covered with a sticker saying gasoline only. It is obvious that this one was converted to gasoline only. The heater was supposed to have a manual with it also and that did not happen. I sent an email asking about it but may be stuck with it for now as they are not answering the email. If I can't work it out I will post the name so other people are not burned.

The big question is, does anyone know how to convert this back to multifuel or diesel only? Also, does anyone have or know where I could get a copy of the manual. PDF or hard copy is equally acceptable. I figured Bjorn might be able to help here so chime in Bjorn.

Thanks
Chuck

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the name on the heater, Is it a South Wind? What model? The M37 had them in a box on the left fender. If its Gas, the fuel metering regulator would have to be changed, probbly as well as the controls, and maybe the igniter. Ther was a lot different about them. My guess is, since you described your Ebay experience, it was probably always a gasoline heater. Its called the "Oaklahoma Switch". Somebody would probably want it for a gasoline truck. My M211 had both the engine coolant heater, as well as a personal heater.

Lee in Alaska

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ida34 said:
......the multifuel part was covered with a sticker saying gasoline only. It is obvious that this one was converted to gasoline only....
I agree with Lee, that we need more info on the model etc.

As far as "gasoline only", the only change is the fuel flow, which is slightly higher when using gasoline (see image below). I'm sure it has to do with the BTU value of the fuel to obtain a specified heat output and doesn't effect the operation of the heater, sort of like the FDC on the multifuel engine.

No fun being burned on ebay (no pun intended), in my experience, most sellers want to be helpful when a mistake is made, though.

The TM for the UH-48 space heater is TM 5-4520-232-14, no further info at this time....

Attachments

ida34

RE: Re: Help with uh-48 multifuel heater.

The heater is a manufacured by hunter. It is manufactured as a multifuel heater and as I said the gasoline part is a sticker added on top of the word multifuel on the dataplate so this is a converted multifuel. I will check the pub number you gave Tom and the one you gave Bjorn. Hopefully that will help. When I get time I will take the box apart to look over the heater assembly itself. This unit has a connection for a thermostat instead of the usual switches. If no t-stat is used one can jump a couple of connections on the unit. The controls are on the unit for startup but not for fan speed. I want to use it for camping in the bed or take it apart to make a cab heater. I will try to post some pics from the auction. I was able to get the pub listed by tom but not Byorn. I will check them out and report back. The pics I am including are the one from the auction, not the pics of the one I got. Again mine has a sticker saying gasoline pasted over all references to multifuel. Now I just need to find a tstat or gather enough knowledge to make one. The TM will help. I got this thing before sermis said he had some for sale and I wish I had been outbid on this one. It was a lowball bid that stuck.

Attachments

ida34

I just got done looking over the manual and I don't think I got that bad a deal. The only adjustment I see is for the fuel supply at the carb. This is the only place that deals with the type of fuel. I will check operation on gasoline then try to adjust if for diesel. I found that it has a fuel pump built in and the thermostat is the same thing that I have for my torpedo space heater. I can either make a conversion connector or find another one to dedicate to this heater. The built in fuel pump is a bonus. I paid about $75 with shipping for it. It is listed as a 15000 btu unit and seem to be for M109 vans. I still want a heater to hook up under the hood for heating the cab through the ductwork. This one will not work like that. I don't like getting a product that is represented by the picture. Unless a disclaimer is made I expect to get the product that was photographed. I guess they have more that one and are just using a stock picture. If I can get it adjusted then no harm no foul. The lack of communication is disturbing. No answer to two emails so far about the situation. I think I got a value for my money but don't like the thing with the picture or lack of email communication. Lets see if it fires up. Back blast area clear!!!!!!!!!!!

ida34

Next question is if anyone knows were the get the connectors for the power and thermostat. They are identical and are three pin but one is male and the other is female in a triangle arrangement. I went out to get photos and the plot thickens. Under the gasoline sticker is fuel oil or gasoline. Looking at the inside it is obvious that this is not a UH-48. No electronic controls and no carb. It has a damper control that must be set by the manual for different fuels. It sounds like the fuel flow is constant but the airflow is regulated for different fuels. Please help with finding the connections. If worse comes to worse I take the thermostat connector out to use for the power and I will rig up a connector or hard wire the thermostat. Pics follow. What I have is listed as a MH15B3C-1 heater.

Attachments

ida34

Now I need a copy of manual TM 5-4520-211-14. Logus was of no use no matter how I searched.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Interesting heater, lots of goodies there!
If you can tell me the number on the connector insert, use a bright light and check the numbers in relief, should be something like 16-10 or similar. The pins should be marked "A", "B" and "C". Do that and I can give you the part numbers you will need.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor

those heaters are fine when working, but parts are very expensive and low btu output. amphenol connectors very common, mouser or digikey or sometimes evilbay

ida34

Bjorn I will look at it tomorrow. It looks like the fuel flows from the strainer to the pump then straight to an injector in the combustion chamber. The thin rectangular like duct to the left in one of the pictures shows a silver bolt head on the left side of the box. What cant be seen is a graduated scale. You loosen the bolt and move it up and down the scale to adjust for different fuel but it says to look at the manual for the correct setting. If I don't find a manual I am going to have to go trial and error for the best setting.

Tom,
I happen to have a digikey catalog next to me. will take a look.

Thanks
Chuck

m38inmaine

I just posted a wanted ad in the classifieds for one of those heaters. The one I am looking for is a UH48-E, they were used in commo shelters and mine is missing the heater. If anyone knows where there are any I would appreciate the help.

Attachments

ida34

I had a busy day yesterday and have not had a chance to check those numbers on the connector yet. I hope to do so by tonight. I plan to be in the garage all day working on stuff. I will try to post tonight to hit you up for the exact number I need. Thanks for the help.

Chuck

kc8sfq

I was just snooping around in TM9-4520-260-13 (offered in a link above) and found, in Fig 4-2, the "MS" part numbers for the power and thermo plugs. The thermo is MS-3108R-14S. The power plug is MS-3108R-14S-7S (note in each case, an "S" not a 5) Digikey or Mouser should have those. Additionally you might have some kind of automation supplier in your area. WE do here in my little depressed economy here in southern Mich and they can get Amphenol, Bendix and Cannon plugs. the part numbers should be all the same between the Mfg's.

Thought this might help Ron

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "3108" is the elbow version of the shell and will be very expensive, if you don't need it go with the staright "3106".
MS3106A14S-7S (female) and MS3106A14S-7P (male) the cable clamp for each would be MS3057-6A....

I have the shells and clamps on hand, just not the inserts for 3 pins. I'll check on the availablity of the inserts and perhaps I can offer you a deal on the rest.

Attachments

ida34

I see the inserts in the digikey catalog. I also see the connectors. If you want to part with your connectors let me know your price Bjorn. I spent the day working on putting some upgraded power seats in my wifes car. Of course it could not be a plug in type of thing. I had to reverse engineer the controls and find some connectors at Rad Shack. Even if the heater does not work it does have a the fuel pump and a few 24 volt relays for parts.

Thanks
Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks