• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation: Ethel. Kendelrios M37 (re)build thread

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK all-
Im offshore and couldn't get pics, so my sweet lady went today (after working a 16 hour shift! 😳), cleared weeds away and took pics for me.
If you happen to see something cool/rare or interesting that jumps out at you, feel free to point it out. I am a TOTAL NOOB with this truck and have no idea what I have.

Also, any potential trouble spots please point out.

So... this will start my rebuild of my 1952 M37 "Ethel".
received_597675131333581.jpeg

When I say covered in weeds....
received_1559005354455650.jpeg

But, here she is in all her glory....
Bed.jpeg

received_605877303889505.jpeg

received_613518903058135.jpeg

received_440299397796296.jpeg

received_644781440173021.jpeg

received_684274392946649.jpeg

received_468936627934692.jpeg

received_419619989857069.jpeg

More to come.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck was restored to include sandblast and paint at some point, then they left it in the weather for 20 years. Sad. Got some cowl rust, fixable. See the off center device behind the front grille? That is the selenium rectifier, part of the 100 amp charging system, which was installed on radio trucks. Looks like there are a few more trucks there as well. Plan on a complete fuel system rebuild, brake system rebuild. Engine should come to life as long as the valves are not stuck. Star on the hood is painted backwards. I like it and would have considered buying it if it had been offered to me.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck was restored to include sandblast and paint at some point, then they left it in the weather for 20 years. Sad. Got some cowl rust, fixable. See the off center device behind the front grille? That is the selenium rectifier, part of the 100 amp charging system, which was installed on radio trucks. Looks like there are a few more trucks there as well. Plan on a complete fuel system rebuild, brake system rebuild. Engine should come to life as long as the valves are not stuck. Star on the hood is painted backwards. I like it and would have considered buying it if it had been offered to me.
Yeah... I figured fuel and brake systems. That was a "for sure".

As far as the rectifier... if I'm not running high current situations, how stressed should I be about it?

And pardon my ignorance.... how can a star be backward?

Also, the box under the passenger dash... heater?

I'll post pics here of the recovery and rebuild...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter

As far as the rectifier... if I'm not running high current situations, how stressed should I be about it?

Chances are the 100 amp system has been replaced with the 25 amp system. The 100 amp system was not very reliable, especially the rectifier in the grille. The star is supposed to point forward. The heater under the dash is aftermarket.

Can't wait to see you fix it up like the 5 ton. This one will be more work though. Oh and the spare tire bracket tended to get removed by Uncle. That's why they are hard to come by.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chances are the 100 amp system has been replaced with the 25 amp system. The 100 amp system was not very reliable, especially the rectifier in the grille. The star is supposed to point forward. The heater under the dash is aftermarket.

Can't wait to see you fix it up like the 5 ton. This one will be more work though. Oh and the spare tire bracket tended to get removed by Uncle. That's why they are hard to come by.
Ooohhh. Thank you.

It's gonna be a long haul project, but this is literally the truck that got me interested in green iron... I've waited my while life for this!

Last edited:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, a right proper truck. We need to see under the hood now.

Ken, I have some stock of M37 parts, let me know as you get into the rebuild.

DDG
Under the hood will be next week when I get in and recover her.

As far as stock parts, I will DEFINITELY be in touch about that.

If you want, you can PM me a general accounting of what you have/prices or you can email me at kendelrio at Gmail

Thank you!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK all-
Im offshore and couldn't get pics, so my sweet lady went today (after working a 16 hour shift! 😳), cleared weeds away and took pics for me.
If you happen to see something cool/rare or interesting that jumps out at you, feel free to point it out. I am a TOTAL NOOB with this truck and have no idea what I have.

Also, any potential trouble spots please point out.

So... this will start my rebuild of my 1952 M37 "Ethel".
View attachment 855201

When I say covered in weeds....
View attachment 855202

But, here she is in all her glory....
View attachment 855203

View attachment 855204

View attachment 855205

View attachment 855206

View attachment 855207

View attachment 855208

View attachment 855209

View attachment 855210

More to come.
Ken,

I can already see that truck in all its glory. The sheetmetal is in amazing condition considering that it has been out in the weather all that time. Already pretty, but she is going to be a beauty for sure...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Ken,

I don't know how much history you can find on the truck, but the red rims might have made it a fire truck at some point in time - or it could have been a truck from RH Boulighy who had a repair facility over in Pensacola, Florida. The little heater box under the dash screams out saying it could have come from there. It was SOP to install those boxes in "our trucks" back when... Might not be, but when Bouligny went bust there were a bunch of them (M37's) in Florida. Most were hauled back to Charlotte to be sold and I don't have much factual info because I was already gone from there before all that happened.

Oh, and yes the point of the star on the hood always points in the direction of the enemy.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken,

I don't know how much history you can find on the truck, but the red rims might have made it a fire truck at some point in time - or it could have been a truck from RH Boulighy who had a repair facility over in Pensacola, Florida. The little heater box under the dash screams out saying it could have come from there. It was SOP to install those boxes in "our trucks" back when... Might not be, but when Bouligny went bust there were a bunch of them (M37's) in Florida. Most were hauled back to Charlotte to be sold and I don't have much factual info because I was already gone from there before all that happened.

Oh, and yes the point of the star on the hood always points in the direction of the enemy.
Very cool info! The guy I got her from rebuilt it with his father when he was 13 (he's mid 40s now) so I'm sure I'll be able to pick his brain more when I get home and find out more about the truck.

I've also downloaded TMs and @CARNAC vin list, so I'll be able to hunt that way too.

My biggest thing right now is I can't wait to get home and pressure wash and clean to see exactly what all is there!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Very cool info! The guy I got her from rebuilt it with his father when he was 13 (he's mid 40s now) so I'm sure I'll be able to pick his brain more when I get home and find out more about the truck.

I've also downloaded TMs and @CARNAC vin list, so I'll be able to hunt that way too.

My biggest thing right now is I can't wait to get home and pressure wash and clean to see exactly what all is there!
I bet so... It would be driving me nuts if I were in your position right now!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks