• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation: Ethel. Kendelrios M37 (re)build thread

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rust there is common problem in those Dodges.

I had to fix that once, so I sandblasted off all the rust (top & bottom).

Then I built it up with a fiberglass kit. It lasted over 35 years I know of. No more rust...

Sourcing and replacing the cowl is a lot more work in my opinion.

DG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
@G744

This is what I was asking about in the PM...

Yours, notice the handles and button
View attachment 855237

Mine: notice the one handle and "knob"...
View attachment 855238

(Please excuse the sticker bush... it will be going away! 🤣😆😁)
Your truck will have a "peddle" (foot button) above the gas peddle that is where you step on the starter.
There is no electric solenoid. It is a manual actuator. Unlike the truck above yours with a start button.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... how can a star be backward?
Well, if you go by the manual, a single point of the hood star should point 'forward', as in toward the front of the vehicle rather than at the windshield like yours.

That said, the proper-per-the-manual way always just looked wrong to me, and if you go by photographs, a lot of soldiers thought so too, as it is not uncommon to see them "backwards" on in-service vehicles all the way back into WWII. So you could actually be 'technically wrong' but 'motor pool correct' with the star pointing at the windshield. :)

Fortunately for me, most of my vehicles end up in USMC markings and Marines don't put stars on our vehicles, so I am saved the dilemma of deciding to put stars on how I'd like them, or according to the manual. :p

Cheers

PS - added a photo from my files. This is a motor pool in Germany in 1966, the two trucks indicated by yellow arrows have their stars pointing at the windshield, and I'm pretty sure the two with red arrows do too, but the photo gets a bit too grainy at that point to be positive when you blow it up.
Note also that some trucks have no hood stars at all.

Attachments

Last edited:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fortunately for me, most of my vehicles end up in USMC markings and Marines don't put stars on our vehicles, so I am saved the dilemma of deciding to put stars on
Yup. Im an old jarhead too, and that won't be an issue either. I've seen some GREAT USMC M37s. So if I decide to go back OD it'll be lusterless green and yellow, like this one:

5e048a2213d83d94e7c446163f1653e0.jpg

Of course, I'll add personal touches to make it "mine". 😁

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks bud!
I would say you have a good start with that chassis. After all it is in Louisiana where everything either disappears in the swamp or rusts from sight? Is there a third?

From what I see the truck has some very desirable features. I am Green with envy!
I'm looking forward to the build and honestly, if I didn't have this site and the collective knowledge here, I wouldn't do it!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup. Im an old jarhead too, and that won't be an issue either. I've seen some GREAT USMC M37s. So if I decide to go back OD it'll be lusterless green and yellow, like this one:
Of course, I'll add personal touches to make it "mine". 😁
Semper Fi, brother! Looking forward to seeing this one done.

A couple of my trucks have 'US Army' stenciled on the dash, I added my own above it that says "Liberated from the". :)

Cheers

Pictures came up for me finally!

That looks like a SOLID truck!

If you are on Facebook, I have a small page called Dodge Rehab. I put pictures up of my M37 rebuilding progress there. My truck is in limbo right now due to the winter cold.

Looks like your truck is all there, and I think that is the most valuable part of all. I don't see anything missing. Having the spare tire in the bed is a GREAT thing to have, as they are not easy to come by at all.

Don't overlook that jeep engine in the bed!! I wonder if that's a WW2 engine. Can you get pictures of the casting marks, head, and serial number? Serial number is stamped on the driver's side top left corner...same place a Dodge engine is stamped.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pictures came up for me finally!

That looks like a SOLID truck!

If you are on Facebook, I have a small page called Dodge Rehab. I put pictures up of my M37 rebuilding progress there. My truck is in limbo right now due to the winter cold.

Looks like your truck is all there, and I think that is the most valuable part of all. I don't see anything missing. Having the spare tire in the bed is a GREAT thing to have, as they are not easy to come by at all.

Don't overlook that jeep engine in the bed!! I wonder if that's a WW2 engine. Can you get pictures of the casting marks, head, and serial number? Serial number is stamped on the driver's side top left corner...same place a Dodge engine is stamped.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Huh... didn't even notice the engine. I'll take a look when I get home.

Tried to find your fb page. I'll have to get better signal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks