• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hey! New Member Here

tilvalhalla

I just bought a 1984 CUC M1009. It runs, drives, 4WD works. It's ready to hit the road. However, I do have of couple of problems-

1- It will only start when I spray ether in it (I know- Don't do that!) That is why i am here. What would be the common causes? I am going to start with replacing the glow plugs and air filter. Hopefully that will get me closer

2- I am guessing when the PD that had it prior to me (it went from the Military to small town PD), when they stripped the wires for the sirens, speaker, etc I'm assuming they left everything stripped. I feel like I'd have to strip the wiring harness and start again. Yea?

I'm excited to join the club!

Attachments

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello and welcome to the forum. The folks here have a WEALTH of information. You will have to supply a bit more information to get to the root cause of your starting issues. Is your Glow Plug System working correctly? I have been going bug nuts trying to fix the GP System in my M1009. What lights are working on your dash panel? How are your headlights, tail lights, markers? Do you still have your B/O Lights?

BTW... Where are you located?

tilvalhalla

Hello and welcome to the forum. The folks here have a WEALTH of information. You will have to supply a bit more information to get to the root cause of your starting issues. Is your Glow Plug System working correctly? I have been going bug nuts trying to fix the GP System in my M1009. What lights are working on your dash panel? How are your headlights, tail lights, markers? Do you still have your B/O Lights?

BTW... Where are you located?
right now, no lights work. I think they were disconnected when the FD and PD that owned it before me took out their sirens. I don’t know much about diesels to know if the GP system is working but I’m about to replace the glow plugs.

southern Illinois

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you know you can test your glow plugs to see if they work? They are expensive so before you replace them, test them. The CUCV glow plug system is amazing and while not "simple" you should be able to test and repair any problems. If you want to, send me a PM with your number and we can talk rather than type.

tilvalhalla

Did you know you can test your glow plugs to see if they work? They are expensive so before you replace them, test them. The CUCV glow plug system is amazing and while not "simple" you should be able to test and repair any problems. If you want to, send me a PM with your number and we can talk rather than type.
Yea I saw they could be tested. However, I don’t think they have ever been replaced. In fact I pulled one this morning and it was black black. I had already purchased some glow plugs come to find out the ones currently in the Blazer is still the milspec ones.

ssdvc

Don't spray ether into the 6.2. Yes, on a rare occasion or as a last resort (or both) it shouldn't hurt anything (if you use very, very little). But repeated use will kill that engine quickly. Start with the glow plugs and work your way up from there. The TM's are a great resource, as are the member here.

MarcusOReallyus

Welcome.

Since you have already spent the money, I guess you might as well install them, but really, you'll be far better off doing some testing first.

First thing I suggest you do is to get some good pictures of your engine compartment, particularly the firewall area behind the air cleaner. These beasties have a very unusual GP system, and those pics will help us determine if yours is stock or has been modified. It will make a big difference in troubleshooting.

Also make sure you get pictures of the battery wiring, all the way over to the GP relay. This will help us help you with your electrical problems. (which might be the reason for your no-start)

Also, git yo' mangy carcass over to the "CUCV Helpful Threads" sticky, and read the "GLOW PLUG SYSTEM " section. (You can probably skip the "GP Relay Repair" section, unless you are really, really, really strapped for money.)

Also, since you have electrical problems, read Fusible Links 101.

You will really be much better off if you do these things before you turn a wrench. I know. Boring. Do it anyway.

(y)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks