• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi-beam selector loose. Fix w/out tearing out steering column.

edpdx

My replacement Directional Lever came today- the column was torn down already awaiting another part (locking ring cover). The new lever went in like a dream, but I noticed that the action was loose and would give me troubles getting the hi-beam on demand. I knew that there is a rod that travels the column down to a switch opposite the column ignition switch (under dash). I looked to see if I could improve switch-ability by sliding the switch upwards [PURPLE LINE] to tighten the rod against the new lever. I had to drop the wheel trim and two bolts (15mm) to get access to the hex nuts that hold the rod/switch bracket- they were different sized hex heads [TURQUOISE LINES] (8mm & ??-used a tiny vise-grip). That adjusted fine and I got the play out.

But wait, there's more... The new ACDelco Directional Switch Harness I installed was only going to full left [YELLOW LINE] and neutral position [ORANGE LINE]. It was not travelingAfin1.jpg
afin2.jpg
afin3.jpg
afin4.jpg
afin5.jpgall the way to the full right [RED LINE] and seating on the perch [GREEN LINE]. It seems the problem is in the column just inside of the window for the directional lever- just worn and needs a columnectomy to get to. I could work the cam into position with a screwdriver, but the lever was bumping against the bottom of the opening, preventing needed travel to seat the signal cam in FULL RIGHT.

The housing is plastic so I hogged out a little at a time [BELOW PALE YELLOW LINE] until there was clearance for full travel of the directional lever and the cam could fully seat.

It's not the worst looking repair on the truck and I am back in business with new components that are starting without stress- should last.

cucvrus

My experience with columns is limited. But I have had great results removing the entire column and repairing on a work bench. The hi low switch can be a little challenge in the truck. But it can be done. Also a new hi/lo switch will have smoother easier clicking action. I had a few that were very tight but worked. I also had them smooth as glass. 1984 was the first year that GM trucks had the Smart Stalk. I worked on many older columns and they were easier. But saying this CUCV column is difficult is not being honest. It is very time consuming. Cleaning and keeping everything aligned and lubed is key to smooth operation. On my newer truck I can dim the hi beams by pushing the lever forward or backwards. Good Luck.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
" CUCV column is difficult is not being honest. It is very time consuming. Cleaning and keeping everything aligned and lubed is key to smooth operation. " good job..................

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks