• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi from another new guy with M931A1

8madjack

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks, this place is full of awesome information! I recently made a deal to buy a m931a1 with a flat bed on it. Just kinda stumbled accross it, pristine truck and a good deal. I wanted a deuce since I got to drive one when I was in the USAF and the 5 ton just seemed even better!

I've been educating myself here and downloaded the manuals and have been reading the -10. I also read about the panic stop issue and the ABS, that is a little concerning, but my main use other than putting around on occasion is as a fire and utility truck on my property. I'll put a water tank and pump on it during the fire season. An RV box on the back seems real tempting for a future project too I must admit.

I really appreciate the cautions and notes that you guys discuss as I want to enjoy the beast without killing myself or anyone else.

I was also curious if anyone did a home fix for the possibility of loss of steering with engine power loss, maybe a mechanical steering box retrofit? Maybe it's not a big concern if used in the right parameters...

m109a2

Welcome 8madjack,You buy whatever you want. It is your American right.What steered me away from the 900 series was a deuce,A mulifuel,Ten tires,No computer,No ctis,no chauffeurs license.AKA a mans truck.Boy did I make a lot of guys mad.Al

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Welcome mad jack from Cape Cod. Get to know your truck and drive it accordingly and carefully. With it being an A1 no ctis to worry about. Have fun. I do in mine.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Kentucky. Congrats on your new truck. Source a hard copy of the operator's manual and read it. Keep it in the truck for reference. Drive it conversantly to avoid the panic stop. Has the engine oil filter canister been modified to the spin on filter? If not , I have them listed in the classified.

8madjack

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I don't have the truck yet, it'll be a couple of weeks so I'll let you know about the ABS. It did have some refurb placards on it, I'll have the details soon.

I printed out the manual and am about 1/2 way through it, I'll keep A copy will be in the truck and I thought about making a checklist for pre and post just like we had on aircraft.

I'll know about the oil filter when I get it, and that sounds good scar 59. I have an old crawler loader tractor with a canister filter so I'm familiar with them.

8madjack

I apologize, I just realized that I somehow posted in the wrong Forum I thought I posted in the new guy introduction area. Feel free to move this.

I moderate on another Forum so I know this can be irritating.

8madjack

Yes, it has ABS and the sticker in the window, also developed a leak in the l axle seal driving home. I did the boots and left axle seal already with a friends help.

74M35A2

(power) steering is quickly restored if you shift to N and hold the starter in the crank position, especially if already rolling forward. I have done it numerous times when running out of fuel for various reasons. Most starters especially 24v are rated for a 20 second continuous engagement time without damage, so you can just do it when steering is needed, and release it on the straights, until you are at a safe stop zone.

Keeping fuel in the tank to a known good level in addition to a properly working abs system should alleviate the concern for the most part.

Cool ride. You could probably sell a bunch of those light attachment bars here if you made it yourself.

Last edited:

8madjack

I like the shortened beds a lot, I might make sides for this one that look like the military bed, every bed I've seen is half way cross country and/ or $$$

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks