• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High and hard........ brake pedal

paulfarber

I read a few threads regarding hard brake pedal and little brake pedal movement.

My truck stops fine, the brakes don't get hot (drag) and I can hear the air pack release (like at a stop sign.. engine is at idle, I let of the brakes and hear a 'fisshhhtttt' sound). I have also squirted oil into the air pack.

The rod has enough free play, the MC is full and the brakes bled... no noticeable loss of DOT 5.

But my brake pedal might have 1-2 inches MAX of application, and the pedal does get more stiff if I pump.

I am going to check/clear the small master cylinder port tonight.

But if the port if clear it looks like an air pack rebuild? Kits range from $100-$150... what should I look for during the disassembly that would trigger a replacement vs a rebuild?

Are there any online step by step tutorials? I do have the TMs on CD... but many times they are lacking in specifics.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the rubber boot off the master cylinder and visually confirm that the piston is returning fully as well as visually confirming the return port is not plugged.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always thought that high and hard was a good thing..........oh, we're talking about brake pedals.....sorry. :oops:

Capt.Marion

Mine was like that, too.

Then, when we tested it at the end of the driveway before heading out by giving it a few hard pumps, we discovered that one of the rubber brake hoses (one of the rear ones) was about to burst, and was already leaking brake fluid. This was discovered because all 6 brakes started dragging when we pulled out, so we hopped out to do a quick inspection and found our problem hose.

Might be worth replacing all of the brake hoses. Unless they were replaced recently (last 5-ish years), it would be a worthwhile investment even if it doesn't 100% correct your problem.

Garandfan

It's the air pack. I bled the brakes, the air pack, the master cylinder more than a few times and got my pedal back to being lighter. I was just delaying the inevitable and the brakes ended up locking up. Gotta rebuild the air pack. There is one on ebay now for 100. It's new style though and there are no rebuild kits for new style. I bought a NOS old style and kept my old "old style" so I can rebuild them. Sorry man, it sucks but changing out the air pack is pretty easy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks