• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv 6.5l purchased, turns out to be a 6.2l

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got an email from a buddy in Houston who got his 6.5l HMMWV home to find out it was a 6.2l. Some people don't know how to tell the difference. When I checked the description...it says 6.5l. But upon inspection it was definitely a 6.2 with the bolt showing on the left side of the oil pump. I am wondering what Govplanet will do to compensate. Kinda a big difference.....I for one would not buy a 6.2, especially since you can get a 6.5 for $1000 to $2000.00 more. It was listed on his auction at a 6.5. What do you gentlemen think?

TacMac2012

Same horsepower either way. Most 6.2's I have had run stronger than the 6.5's. The 6.2's are not as prone to crack around the #8 cylinder either. You might can get a little bit from GP but if it runs good, a 6.2 is not a bad thing.

4x4nutz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess the reason I have had such great luck with 6.5's is that they are usually newer motors. I have a 1989 M1038 that had the 6.5 put in on 2003, and have owned 3 other M998's with 6.5's that I have sold. Then of course all the blogs and diesel truck sites overwelmingly choose the 6.5 over the 6.2. I appreciate the input. Will probably tell him to suck it up and deal with it.........but then it still kinda bothers me that he didn't exactly receive what he paid for.

TacMac2012

A 6.5 in a civilian truck likely does have more power than a civilian 6.2. The 6.5 in a HMMWV is 'detuned' to basically match the output of the 6.2

Tornadogt

I had bought an incorrectly described 6.2 HMMWV as a 6.5. I felt that they did it intentionally because this truck did not have any photos of the back of the engine. All I had to go off of was the description. They always seem to have a picture of the back of the block but this one did not.. I got nothing from GP but the excuse that I should of brought it to their attention before I picked it up. Yeah right as we were loading up 2 other trucks and during the 4 hour, 1 day a week pickup window. Don't expect anything, I would call them and fight for it, maybe you will get something. GP normally starts the bids on similar trucks about $500-$1000 higher for the 6.5 over the 6.2. I tried to get anything refunded between those numbers but no luck for me.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
*knock on wood* my 6.2 powered M1038 has been a great runner. I believe it's only a little behind my 1008 with a turbo.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would call them and come to an understanding... maybe even give a refund on auction fees or something. but its not a loss... you still end up with a nice capable MV

Awol

It wouldn't bother me that it's a 6.2, but I'd be pissed that they claimed it was a 6.5 and it turns out they lied.

Jon0249

At this point, as far as interaction with GP goes, performance has NOTHING to do with it. It was advertised as a 6.5, but wasn't. Opinions on performance, while valid on this thread, are irrelevant to resolution of the GP error. Choices are (1) return for a refund, but expect to not get every penny you paid, (2) negotiate a settlement with GP, using your expertise to show the stark differences between the 2 motors, or (3) suck it up and go home.

Personally, I would pursue 2 with a well-written letter. You don't get what you don't ask for, so ask. Just don't let the conversation drift toward opinions, but rather stay on point with facts. Good luck!

garlar4

Banned
watching as im worried i was mislead on the one im waiting on right now. I won one a few weeks back and waiting on my EUc to come back.

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, mine came with the proper 6.5, advertsed as a GEP Optimizer, but came with a block of unknown origin. (no numbers whatsoever). They made it right with a cash and credit resolution.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks