• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Early Parking Brake Pics Needed

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I am trying to get my parking brake functional again and need some pics to see exactly how it is supposed to look when it is done. My truck has the early style brake on the rear diff. I am missing everything between the brake handle to the caliper. I have looked at the parts diagram in the TM, but am having a hard time figuring out where the threaded rod goes once it leaves the brake handle and where the tension spring mounts to the threaded rod. If someone could snap a pic of the bottom of the brake handle showing the linkage rod and the bracket where the rod goes next, it would be most helpful. I attached the parts diagram with all of the missing parts circled in red. Thanks!

Attachments

jwaller

the rod goes to the rear and goes thru a bulkhead/channel and then attaches to a cable that goes to the caliper.

there is also a spring that keeps the rod from bouncing around and vibrating. it's all above the muffler so you will need to remove it to get access to that area.

I would invest in the upgrade and ditch that old style. I rebuilt mine and it worked for about a month. My truck rolled away several times before I stated using chocks and finally went to the 80E with an actual Park in the trans and went to the late style e brake.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I know one guy with a MWO kit and it is priced at $750. I spoke with David at hummerpartsguy and he said the kit is avaibale from AMG at a cost of $850. I was hoping to put mine back together for about a 4th of that and use it. Did you save all of the parts you took off, John?

jwaller

I know one guy with a MWO kit and it is priced at $750. I spoke with David at hummerpartsguy and he said the kit is avaibale from AMG at a cost of $850. I was hoping to put mine back together for about a 4th of that and use it. Did you save all of the parts you took off, John?
I did save them for a while but have since sold all of that stuff. 750 or 850 isnt such a bad price when you consider all of what your getting. if you consider that you will be getting new brake calipers, new cables, new rod, many assorted brackets. it's not a bad deal and you will be getting a system you can use and not fear that your truck will not be where you left it.

I put my system together from ebay and kascar for about $200 but it took a while to piece it all together.

Plus down the road if you ever plan on upgrading the trans or xcase you will have to convert it then. You will also give yourself the option of upgrading the fuel tank that would not be an option if you don't.

Trust me when I say you will not be getting any use out of that original parking brake. I could never use it with any confidence. think of it as a deuce parking brake with about half the ability to stop the truck from rolling.

Augi

My old style brake works great! And I got a rebuild kit (springs and pads) for $10. I find myself adjusting it based on the grade I'm parked on. Just a twist on the end of the lever and it'll hold, even on the steep stuff.

The test in the TM to check function says to set the brake then put the truck in drive. If it stays put the brake is functioning adequately (I still have to add a turn or two for it to hold on steeper grades though, makes the handle harder to pull too so I undo it after).

I prefer being able to buy $35 calipers on eBay for all four locations and having them be interchangable. Plus, those H1 guys always complain how their parking brakes get full of water and sieze up all the time.

Augi

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I did save them for a while but have since sold all of that stuff. 750 or 850 isnt such a bad price when you consider all of what your getting. if you consider that you will be getting new brake calipers, new cables, new rod, many assorted brackets. it's not a bad deal and you will be getting a system you can use and not fear that your truck will not be where you left it.

I put my system together from ebay and kascar for about $200 but it took a while to piece it all together.

Plus down the road if you ever plan on upgrading the trans or xcase you will have to convert it then. You will also give yourself the option of upgrading the fuel tank that would not be an option if you don't.

Trust me when I say you will not be getting any use out of that original parking brake. I could never use it with any confidence. think of it as a deuce parking brake with about half the ability to stop the truck from rolling.
I am planning on going to a OD tranny with a park pawl at some point once the TH400 craps out so maybe it makes sense to step up to the later setup. Tell me more about the fuel tank upgrade. I haven't seen anything about that yet.

Unionjackjim

Wake up this thread ............

"Previous Quote "

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would you Hppen to have the Kascar List of the parking break parts kit ?? as I have a leaking fuel tank & cannot get the old style tank except for $600 and would rather use the money on the parking break up grade & get a new tank for $60.00

Regards UJJ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks